Question New Mboard and CPU - no bootable devices

Apr 17, 2023
First new build in a long time, upgrading from intel 7700k system. Seems I have lost my touch when installing now:

CPU: 7800X3d
CPU cooler: deepcool ak620
Motherboard: gigabyte b650 gaming x ax
Ram: 2 x 16 DDR5 G.Skill Ripjaws 5200
SSD/HDD: m.2 Samsung 970 NVMe 2TB (new), and
SSD/HDD: Samsung 870 2.5inch SSD (previously used with windows)
GPU: Asus Nvidia 3800
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Chassis: Cooler Master MB520 Mesh

Everything is new apart from the GPU and 2.5 inch SSD.

The problem I have is that the computer will only launch into bios. It will detect every piece of hardware I have installed in the bios and they all seem to be running to spec, but it won’t recognise anything as a bootable device. i.e. I can see the RAM / GPU / SSD / CPU etc.

Even just putting in my old SSD with windows for my previous intel system and removing the new m.2 SSD it will recognise the old SSD as installed in the bios, but won’t recognise it as a bootable device.

Does this mean I need to Flash the bios for an update? If so, can I do this with any modern USB once it is wiped / the drivers installed and renamed? This will be tricky for me to arrange, but I was planning to do this later today in about 7 hours on my next go and fixing the problem. I have also tried resetting the CMOS to no effect.

Apr 17, 2023
You want the OS on the Samsung 970?
Which is a brand new drive?

Well, you have to install an OS on it.
The m.2. drive doesn't have an OS on it.
The Samsung 970 does have an OS on it that I have used for years on my old system.

I disconnected the m.2 drive in case that was causing problems and used only the 970 which has a working OS, but while the 970 shows in the BIOS, it doesn't show it as a bootable drive.

I have also tried adding a DVD player with a windows DVD and again the DVD shows in the Bios, but it won't come up as a bootable device.

I presume it wouldn't matter I have been using the SATA 3 port rather than the SATA 1 or 2 port etc.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The Samsung 970 does have an OS on it that I have used for years on my old system.

I disconnected the m.2 drive in case that was causing problems and used only the 970 which has a working OS, but while the 970 shows in the BIOS, it doesn't show it as a bootable drive.

I have also tried adding a DVD player with a windows DVD and again the DVD shows in the Bios, but it won't come up as a bootable device.

I presume it wouldn't matter I have been using the SATA 3 port rather than the SATA 1 or 2 port etc.
So have you tried to install windows on the new M.2 drive without the SSD connected?

USAFRet

Titan

The "Samsung 970" IS an M.2 drive. Perhaps you meant something else?

And trying to use an old OS from a different system often fails, for multiple reasons.

Apr 17, 2023

And trying to use an old OS from a different system often fails, for multiple reasons.
My bad. You are right the 970 is my new M.2 drive with nothing on it.

But I have another Samsung SSD that is not M.2. It is a regular 2.5 inch SSD that I have used for years that has a OS. This is picked up in the bios but still doesn't show as a bootable device. I am sure if I plugged this into my old PC it would boot up windows like normal.

Apr 17, 2023
So have you tried to install windows on the new M.2 drive without the SSD connected?

Sorry I have been a bit unclear.

I first tried with my new M.2 SSD which had no OS. I tried that first with a DVD drive thinking I could load windows onto it via the DVD. The DVD / M.2 drives were detected in bios but neither showed up as bootable.

Since then I have tried with my 2.5 inch SSD which has the OS I was using two days ago on my old system. This has the same problem. Detected in bios but not showing as a bootable device.

Should I install my new M.2 SSD on my old PC (with an old SSD running the OS) and then try and install windows 10 on the M.2 drive. Then try the new m.2 SSD with the OS installed on the new PC? It seems strange if this would work, but I don't know.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry I have been a bit unclear.

I first tried with my new M.2 SSD which had no OS. I tried that first with a DVD drive thinking I could load windows onto it via the DVD. The DVD / M.2 drives were detected in bios but neither showed up as bootable.

Since then I have tried with my 2.5 inch SSD which has the OS I was using two days ago on my old system. This has the same problem. Detected in bios but not showing as a bootable device.

Should I install my new M.2 SSD on my old PC (with an old SSD running the OS) and then try and install windows 10 on the M.2 drive. Then try the new m.2 SSD with the OS installed on the new PC? It seems strange if this would work, but I don't know.
What does the DVD have on it?

No, you cannot install the M.2 in your old PC and somehow install Windows on it.

So you have another Windows system that runs?
If so....make a NEW flash drive to install Windows on the M.2 drive, when it is in the new system where it will reside.

Apr 17, 2023
Creating a windows USB and using this to install windows on my new HDD worked perfectly.

Very quick and easy fix. Now I can give my old computer to the kids :)