Question New mechanical keyboard

skaertus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I am on the market for a new mechanical keyboard.

I already have some mechanical keyboards, with many different switches. As I live in Brazil, I have nowhere to go to simply try them before buying, nor sending them back if I do not like them. I have keyboards with Cherry MX Blue, Red, Speed, Outemu Blue, Razer Green and Mecha-Membrane (this one is semi-mechanic).

All of them seem to be nice, for different purposes. The linear switches (Cherry MX Red and Speed) are very light, but they are not very good to type on, as I constantly double type because of the absence of tactile feedback. The Razer Mecha-Membrane is nice, but it feels like a membrane keyboard with an additional "click", and the amount of force required seems to be the same.

The Cherry MX Blue, Razer Green and Outemu Blue are all nice, with a few differences. I actually like the sound of the Outemu Blue better, but I also feel that it requires more force. In any case, they are all clickly, and the sound becomes annoying after some time. I would like something which is less noisy.

So, it seems that I need the only type of switch I do not have: tactile but not clicky. As I already have too many keyboards, I would not like to buy one just to find out it is not what I was looking for. The catch is, I cannot try any of the keyboards before buying, and after I buy it, I cannot take it back. Just one shot.

The following keyboards would be available here in Brazil:
  • Corsair K70 LUX Red LED (Cherry MX Brown) - USD 100.00
  • Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown) - USD 150.00
  • Corsair K95 Platinum RGB (Cherry MX Brown) - USD 285.00
  • Logitech G513 Carbon (Romer G Tactile) - USD 170.00
  • Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Razer Orange) - USD 260.00
  • HyperX Alloy Elite (Cherry MX Brown) - USD 180.00
  • Cougar Gamer 600K (Cherry MX Brown) - USD 110.00
  • Redragon Kala (Outemu Brown) - USD 80.00
Yes, the prices are impossibly high, and this is due to taxes (and this is one additional reason for buying just one and not trying more than that). I cannot import a keyboard from the U.S. without paying abusive taxes, and I cannot ask someone else to bring a keyboard for me. I basically have to settle with one of the options above.

I wonder which would be the best one. I would like a comfortable wrist rest, as it makes a difference for me. I would also prefer to have media keys, but this is not a deal breaker, and I can live without. For instance, the comfortable wrist rest in the Logitech G513 would be more important than the absence of media keys.

Now, the real deal is the switch. How do the different switches compare?

And which of these keyboards would you recommend?

Thanks.

skaertus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
You look like you're in need of Cherry MX Green's or Brown's. I'd also stay away from Outemu's. Corsair's keyboard's have a nice wrist rest.

Thanks.

From what I've read, Cherry MX Green is a clicky switch, with a higher actuation force than the MX Blue, so it would be the Cherry MX Brown.

I have a Corsair keyboard (two K70s), and the wrist rest is OK, but no big deal. The wrist rests in my Razer keyboards (the Blackwidow Chroma V2 and the Ornata Chrome) are much better.

What about the Logitech G513? It seems to have a good wrist rest as well, but I am not sure about the Romer-G switches. I've read both good and bad things about them.