[SOLVED] New memory install rebooted system 5 times

So I got a new kit of 16gb ddr4 3000mhz today.. link here... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD5V6RV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I installed the RAM my system kept restarting before even booting into BIOS.

Then the system finally came on with yellow lettering saying "The cmos has been reset" which is fine no biggie.

But when I go into the BIOS, only my cpu fan was reset none of my other settings.

So why did the system keep rebooting, is this normal? And why was "the cmos reset" but only 1 option?

PC SPECS

MOBO- MSI Tomahawk b450
CPU- R5 2600
GPU- 1060 3gb
MEM- 2x8gb ddr4 3000mhz
STORAGE- Samsung 860 evo 250gb / 500gb WD Blue
WIN- WIndows 10 Pro

Solution
It works fine now. Could it be because the BIOS was set to my old ram and the mobo had to reset the cmos itself to accept the new ram?
Yes, The motherboard was configured to your Old Ram settings so it had to clear and reset CMOS to accept that new Ram that you just installed. Try activating XMP then more of the profiles might show up.
When in BIOS you may need to set memory parameters you want:
FACTORY TIMING PARAMETERS
• Default (JEDEC): DDR4-2400 CL17-17-17 @1.2V
• XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3000 CL15-17-17 @1.35V
• XMP Profile #2: DDR4-2666 CL15-17-17 @1.35V

Test for defective memory with:
MemTest86

I know that. My question is why when I installed the new ram, the system rebooted 5 times?

and why did the cmos reset, but only 1 setting? Are both of these normal behavior?

It works fine now. Could it be because the BIOS was set to my old ram and the mobo had to reset the cmos itself to accept the new ram?

Sep 15, 2019
Yes, The motherboard was configured to your Old Ram settings so it had to clear and reset CMOS to accept that new Ram that you just installed. Try activating XMP then more of the profiles might show up.

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution

TRENDING THREADS