New mobo and 6600k, can't transfer drivers and nothing works.

sgtsmores

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Yesterday I upgraded from an ASRock pro3+ mobo and an AMD Athlon to an Asus Z170-a and an i5 6600k. After everything was assembled, I launched into my desktop on Windows no problem. However, my motherboard doesn't have the necessary drivers to connect to the Internet, and my computer won't seem to recognize either my flash drive or an external optical drive, no matter what port it's plugged in to. No autoplay pop up, and nothing in the file Explorer. However, both my flash drive and optic drive will show up as boot options from the bios. With this, I tried reinstalling windows both from disc and flash drive using an ISO, but, after booting from the flash and optic drive, it shows the loading files screen, and goes to the initial install screen. It's at this point that it says I'm missing a USB or CD drive with the necessary drivers. Sure enough, using the browser it showed my flash drive and optical drive weren't options.

So I can't get my drivers onto my new setup to make things work, and I can't seem to reinstall windows to fix things either. I'm trying to find a better solution than tearing apart my computer again to put in the old parts.

Solution
Have you tried putting the motherboard disc in your optical drive when the message pop ups. Is your optical drive connected via sata or usb?
One option you can try if you have a spare SATA drive is to download the drivers from another pc onto that drive. Then connect that drive to your new pc and install the drivers that way.
Skylake no longer support usb installation for window 7, you would have to slipstream the usb drivers to maked a modified window 7 ISO.
There is a tool provided with your motherboard in the drivers section - utilities :
"Use this tool to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded for 100 series motherboards.(V1.02.07)"

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/
Have you tried putting the motherboard disc in your optical drive when the message pop ups. Is your optical drive connected via sata or usb?
One option you can try if you have a spare SATA drive is to download the drivers from another pc onto that drive. Then connect that drive to your new pc and install the drivers that way.
Skylake no longer support usb installation for window 7, you would have to slipstream the usb drivers to maked a modified window 7 ISO.
There is a tool provided with your motherboard in the drivers section - utilities :
"Use this tool to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded for 100 series motherboards.(V1.02.07)"

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution

sgtsmores

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
That'll work then. Had I had the foresight I should've just downloaded the drivers on that HDD before anthing. I'm used to installing my drivers through USB but that didn't work so well this time. Thanks for the help