Question New MOBO and Case for AM4 system

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Hi group – I could use some advice from you-all who know these things!
I have decided to stay with AMD AM4 platform for the foreseeable future. I need a new motherboard and anew case. I plan to eventually upgrade my GPU.

The case has seen better days and the cooler barely fits. I'd like to get better airflow. The MOBO has some minor issues and I'm not sure I could fit larger GPU when I upgrade.

So what case and motherboard would you suggest? I am a casual gamer playing mostly 1st person shooters and I also use my computer for live music recording. I have plenty of room so I could go with a full tower. I can live without the optical drives if necessary.

Oh yea - will Win 10 boot with a new MOBO - everything else being the same?

Here's my current rig:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800 3d
Cooler - Deep Cool AK 620
MOBO- MSI B450 Tomahawk
GPU - Sapphire AMD RX5700 8GB GDDR6
Monitor - AOC CQ27 QHD
PSU – EVGA GQ 750
RAM - 4X8 (32gig) Ballistix 3200 DDR4
Case – Roswell ATX mid towerChallenger S
Sound – Realtek on board
Speakers – Creative Inspire T3-100
Mouse – Logitech G-402
Keyboard – Logitech G-213
2 optical drives
Storage:
SSD PNY CS1111 240GB (Win 10 home)
HDD Seagate Firecuda 2TB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB
WD Easy Store 1TB –USB backup

Thanks for any input!

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
The B450 Tomahawk is considered a pretty decent motherboard for the price point. What manner of issues are you having out of it that you would consider replacement?
I had to unplug the wire that connects the motherboard to the headphone jack in the front of the case. With the wire plugged into the MOBO, the computer acts really strange - like there is a short There is either a problem with the motherboard, the wires or the case. Everything works fine with the wire unplugged. Since I am replacing the case and will have the rig mostly disassembled anyway - I figured I'd replace the MOBO.

I had to unplug the wire that connects the motherboard to the headphone jack in the front of the case. With the wire plugged into the MOBO, the computer acts really strange - like there is a short There is either a problem with the motherboard, the wires or the case. Everything works fine with the wire unplugged. Since I am replacing the case and will have the rig mostly disassembled anyway - I figured I'd replace the MOBO.
To make full use 5800x3D you need a b550/x570 motherboard, it's unlikely manufacturers would release proper BIOS for 3D increased cache memory. Asus has gone furthest with that feature in BIOS. I would suggest Asus b550 tuf gaming plus as one of best.