[SOLVED] new mobo and cpu "activate windows"

Vl

Reputable
May 4, 2016
About a year ago I bought a computer, it came with windows 10 installed. Yesterday I upgraded a new motherboard and CPU (3700x). Nothing else. Now it's saying "activate windows". Is there anything I can do to activate without buying new Windows?

Solution
About a year ago I bought a computer, it came with windows 10 installed. Yesterday I upgraded a new motherboard and CPU (3700x). Nothing else. Now it's saying "activate windows". Is there anything I can do to activate without buying new Windows?
Yes, a new motherboard is seen as a new system. As such, the OS will unactivate itself.

And an OEM install is about the only case whereby you can't transfer the license by yourself.
You'll have to call MS and probably speak to a human.

Additionally, did you do a fresh OS install?
Or did you just plug things in and it mostly works.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, a new motherboard is seen as a new system. As such, the OS will unactivate itself.

And an OEM install is about the only case whereby you can't transfer the license by yourself.
You'll have to call MS and probably speak to a human.

Additionally, did you do a fresh OS install?
Or did you just plug things in and it mostly works.

Solution