Question New mobo and cpu... no power

Dec 30, 2022
Hey all... I'm at a total loss. I've built a few PCs in the past but I'm stumped and have no idea what the problem is. I have just bought a new i9-12900KF processor and needed a new mobo to go with it. I grabbed a Gigabyte B660M DS3H (don't know how much of that title is relavent) mobo, both LGA 1700 form factor. I have an 800w Vampire psu and when I hook it up... nothing. Pressing the Qflash button will turn the cpu cooler lights on briefly and the fan will spin, but it stops after a moment. The power button does literally nothing. When I swap it back to my old mobo/cpu combo (LGA 1151 form factor i7-6000 series), it all works fine. Is it the mobo? The processor? Are they somehow not compatible in a way I totally looked over? Please help... I'm so lost and frustrated. I don't even know what to begin to look for since I do not have another LGA 1700 cpu or mobo to swap to find the culprit...

Dec 30, 2022
what GPU? that cpu doesn't have integrated graphics. you would definitely need one to get a display
Well at the moment I'm just trying to get it to turn on. I had fully plugged in all components when I realized it wasn't turning on and disassembled back down to minimum. I have an rtx 3080 gpu. At the moment, everything plugged in or not results in nothing unless I press that Qflash button. :(

Hey all... I'm at a total loss. I've built a few PCs in the past but I'm stumped and have no idea what the problem is. I have just bought a new i9-12900KF processor and needed a new mobo to go with it. I grabbed a Gigabyte B660M DS3H (don't know how much of that title is relavent) mobo, both LGA 1700 form factor. I have an 800w Vampire psu and when I hook it up... nothing. Pressing the Qflash button will turn the cpu cooler lights on briefly and the fan will spin, but it stops after a moment. The power button does literally nothing. When I swap it back to my old mobo/cpu combo (LGA 1151 form factor i7-6000 series), it all works fine. Is it the mobo? The processor? Are they somehow not compatible in a way I totally looked over? Please help... I'm so lost and frustrated. I don't even know what to begin to look for since I do not have another LGA 1700 cpu or mobo to swap to find the culprit...
It does need BIOS F2 in order to work. Are you following the directions for Q-Flash?

Dec 30, 2022
GB BIOS usually start with F2 so that should be fine.

Something not installed correctly and a very poor board choice for that processor 6+2+1 power delivery.
Good to know. I am woefully unaware of motherboard ins and outs. What would you recommend? I am likely going to upgrade out of it, but for now I was trying to ball on a budget. I was upgrading out of a 2070S gpu and a quad core i7-6700k. It still feels huge to me.

Dec 30, 2022
Embarassingly... I found the issue. I'd love to lie and say the bios was the only fix. I realized that I had the front panel plugged in to the wrong spot.... yes... I'm an idiot. But I post it here in case any learning or just uncarefuly hobbiests find themselves in a similar predicament. The spot for the front panel, in every pc I've ever built, looked quite different, and there was a matching set of pins. Brain said "ah, I've done this before" and just plugged away. Turns out, the front panel was part of a bar of pins that was about twice as long as I've ever seen and only used half of the pins. Quite embarassed!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Embarassingly... I found the issue. I'd love to lie and say the bios was the only fix. I realized that I had the front panel plugged in to the wrong spot.... yes... I'm an idiot. But I post it here in case any learning or just uncarefuly hobbiests find themselves in a similar predicament. The spot for the front panel, in every pc I've ever built, looked quite different, and there was a matching set of pins. Brain said "ah, I've done this before" and just plugged away. Turns out, the front panel was part of a bar of pins that was about twice as long as I've ever seen and only used half of the pins. Quite embarassed!
Found the problem is all that counts, everybody has overlooked easy things