Question New Mobo and CPU overheating issue

Feb 11, 2019
I have been reading around here quite a bit trying to figure this out. However I just bought a Asus tuf gaming z390 with i78700k but having weird overheating issue. just idling it will sit at about 40 but when I go and watch youtube or browse the net it slowly starts getting hotter and hotter getting up to about 80 before I shutdown to let it cool down. I have let it sit with nothing running besides background programs to see if it cools backdown but it will only get back down to around 60. It is liquid cooling and the cooler was working before I swapped motherboard/cpu. I have tried reseating it a dozen times, and the cpu voltage doesn't go much above 1.2. I had cleaned the case thoroughly before the swap. I am leaning towards cooler issue only cause it started making a noise for a split second on startup after the swap it is running but it does make a noise every time on startup. Before I go and buy a new cooler to test I just wanted to get some more knowledgeable opinions. Thank you for your time and help.

Feb 11, 2019
Well after doing suggested test the radiator stays cool the block itself gets hot and so does one of the tubes. Another thing I noticed is a 10 degree or so discrepancy between a few different monitoring software and the mobos own monitoring software does that matter or no? Thanks for the continued help.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Temps Being different on different software is pretty normal. If one hose is getting warmer it means the pump is doing something buy apparently not enough if it can't pull the hot water to the rad. There's nothing you can service on the aio so pretty much time for a new cooler

Feb 11, 2019
The cooler is enermax liqmax 2 240 it is a few years old. I have the pump connected to its AIO pump connection. The cpu fans at idle are about 700 while the pump is at 3000 rpms.