Question New MOBO and CPU, (with these pre-post specs) would I need to re-install?

Aug 30, 2019
Hi,

First time here.

Right now I have a MSI Z170A MPower Gaming Titanium, with an i7-4700k.

I have W10, and if I was just using the computer for games or media player like years ago, I would not have any doubts about it, but nowadays, I use it also as a workstation, modelling, texturing, rendering.... that's a lot of programs with personalized work-spaces, brushes, configs... you name it.

So, if I was to upgrade it to a Z390 chipset motherboard of similar quality (could use another MSI if it's better for compatibility) with an i8-9900k, would I need to re-install?

No new SSD's or memory, just MOBO and CPU.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Presumably you mean re-install windows!? Yes, it's always the best option. You don't need a new licence (providing you own a retail copy of Windows), but going from one mobo to another requires different drivers, bios, chipset capabilities etc, so from the point of view of being headache free, compatibility wise and not having driver issues, it's always best to re-install after a mobo, CPU update.

It's a pain, but better to get it right first off.

Either way, a fresh install is advisable once a year. Clear out all the old remnants of applications/programs, driver files, ini files, outdated registry keys etc.

Aug 30, 2019
Thanks for your answer. I also used to format from time to time, but now... I wish I could keep going on without doing it, even when buying a new one.. damn.

Last one was... 3 years ago, it would be nice to clean the registry keys even if I try to remove the ones I see, I know that there are a lot more deep enough, that remains there.

Anyway, I'm more worried about chipset drivers, USB's and such. I know that even if the board uses the same USB types, there won't be the same number of each, irqs, and the likes.

I use the NVidia drivers, making a total uninstall with DDU every time, and also one HDMI to output the bit-stream audio, so no audio drivers.

I keep delaying the MOBO-CPU buy because of this. I have now a 1080ti, and was thinking about getting a 2080ti, or better, wait for the new ones, but my i7-4700k could be too of a bottleneck for gaming and 3D GPU based applications.

That is why I'm thinking again on the MOBO and CPU, I suppose that it would be a nice different from a 4,6ghz i7-4700k, to a 5ghz i9-8800k.