[SOLVED] New Mobo and liquid cooling but performance difference

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Hi, I got upgraded from Gigabyte H310M S2H mobo, Cooler master cpu cooling and Corsair 2400 mhz 16gb RAM to ASROCK B365M PRO4, 1151 , NZXT Kraken M22 120mm and Corsair 3200 MHZ 16gb of ram, everything is working fine, but my ingame performance for fps feels alot worse, im getting about 80 fps when i used to get a lot more and it felt so much more smoother.
I dont understand how this is possible as all three are an upgrade?

My specs:
i5 9600k
1660 6GB
3200Mhz 16HB

Solution
D
Really they were no performance upgrade except the memory can run 2666 instead of 2400. Everything else remains the exact same unless your CPU was overheating.

If you did not do a fresh install of windows that could be the problem.
This. Every time you change your motherboard, you have to clean reinstall your OS to avoid any issues caused by Windows using the chispet drivers from your previous motherboard.

Also, if you have any additional drives besides your main system drive, unplug their SATA cable before proceeding with the Windows reinstallation, and when you're done, plug them back in. Leave only the target drive you wish to install Windows on plugged in. You do not have to unmount the drives or...
D

Deleted member 2720853

Really they were no performance upgrade except the memory can run 2666 instead of 2400. Everything else remains the exact same unless your CPU was overheating.

If you did not do a fresh install of windows that could be the problem.
This. Every time you change your motherboard, you have to clean reinstall your OS to avoid any issues caused by Windows using the chispet drivers from your previous motherboard.

Also, if you have any additional drives besides your main system drive, unplug their SATA cable before proceeding with the Windows reinstallation, and when you're done, plug them back in. Leave only the target drive you wish to install Windows on plugged in. You do not have to unmount the drives or take out the PSU power, just the SATA cables temporarily.

This is to ensure that Windows only gets installed to that drive and that drive only, as Windows likes to sometimes dump its boot partitions onto other drives without you being at fault, and that will cause issues when you have to swap your drives later, one of them being Windows magically not booting anymore. This is good practice I've picked up from this forum and applied myself. Everything worked out well.

Refer to this on how to do a clean Windows reinstallation:

Good luck, and report back with results.

Solution
Mar 14, 2020
I have just changed my mobo from an old z170x from gigabyte with an 7700k to a tuf gaming z490 plus wifi with 10700k and my windows runs fine 0 problems.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016

Also, if you have any additional drives besides your main system drive, unplug their SATA cable before proceeding with the Windows reinstallation, and when you're done, plug them back in. Leave only the target drive you wish to install Windows on plugged in. You do not have to unmount the drives or take out the PSU power, just the SATA cables temporarily.

This is to ensure that Windows only gets installed to that drive and that drive only, as Windows likes to sometimes dump its boot partitions onto other drives without you being at fault, and that will cause issues when you have to swap your drives later, one of them being Windows magically not booting anymore. This is good practice I've picked up from this forum and applied myself. Everything worked out well.

Refer to this on how to do a clean Windows reinstallation:

Good luck, and report back with results.
How would i reset windows fresh if my windows is on an ssd with my games also on it?
Wouldnt that clear the ssd?

Any help would be great.

D

Deleted member 2720853

How would i reset windows fresh if my windows is on an ssd with my games also on it?
Wouldnt that clear the ssd?

Any help would be great.
You don't have any other drives, just the SSD? If so, backup what you need to an USB, cloud storage or external hard drive, and I'm afraid you'll have to redownload the games.

TRENDING THREADS