New Mobo and OS

-dynastyyy

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Ok guys I'm new to the forums but I came looking for help.

To begin, I first bought a prebuilt Gateway FX-6800-01e desktop. Well since my original purchase, i Now have replaced everything that was originally in the case, with the exception of the i7 920 @2.66Ghz and the original TBGM01 motherboard, the original Seagate 750GB hardrive, and the Optical Drive.

I have replaced everything included the original case the computer came in with the following.
CM HAF 912 Mid tower
Ram: Patriot Viper 2 Sector 7 3x2 GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB
PSU: CM GX series RS650-watt

My question is that I want to upgrade mother boards (either the ASUS X58 Sabertooth or P6X58D-E, Please give some input on these two b/c im not sure yet.)

Now i know its a good practice to reinstall the operating system when installing a new mobo. Someone told me recently that the Vista Home Premium that came with my computer is tied to my original mobo so i would basically need a new copy of Vista or W7 to make it work. Im trying to figure out what i need to do exactly. If i can avoid having to buy another OS it would make it a lot easier so i can purchase W7 later down the road.

If someone can give me some knowledgeable guidance on what I can or need to do I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I wouldn't put any more $$ into your system. Socket 1366 may be replaced next year. If it works, I would wait and sell it intact and start over. You're about ready to graduate to building your own since you've replaced everything but the board. If you must replace it (got that itch to upgrade not matter what) start with this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251 and this cpu, Intel's 2500K socket 1155 for $220 at newegg. I recommend windows pro or ultimate 64 with either 8 or 16 gb of ram. Don't use 12 gb and leave a ram slot open. Get another 8 gb or 16 gb and sell any leftover ram http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519&adid=11947061&subid=36485253&type=.

-dynastyyy

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Well heres the thing, I don't have the money, as I meant to indicate in the original post, that would put me around the $550 or 600 dollar range (mobo, cpu, ram, OS) , and quite frankly i dont have the money, nor do i see a need. The i7 that i have is still pretty future proof from what i can tell, thought he socket is going out of date, the cpu itself is still running nicely.

I appreciatte and see the logic in your suggestion, just physicaly may not be possible for me b/c of money.

Overclocking is the only benefit from the new board. I've seen some new as low as $100 in anandtech's for sale forum from folks who bought too much stuff. I would check there first if you want to save some $$. You may also find some new windows 7 leftovers on craigslist for $50-75.