[SOLVED] New Mobo + CPU: Can I Boot Windows By Connecting An Existing SSD?

Jan 18, 2020
Not sure if this is the right sub.

I'm going to buy a new motherboard and processor and re-connect all of my other hardware.

I'm not confident this will work because the new, blank CMOS will not recognize my SSD, but in theory, it should just boot right? Because the SSD will still have bootloader that BIOS can locate.. assuming it even knows about the SSD still.. (rambling...)

Thanks in advance for your time and any information you can provide.

Solution
Yes, no, maybe... There is no way to predict. It might boot. It might not. It might boot but blue screen repeatedly or hav device manager problems. The SAFEST thing is to ASSUME you have to do a clean install and prepare for it. It is always RECOMMENDED to do clean install every timeyou change motherboards.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, no, maybe... There is no way to predict. It might boot. It might not. It might boot but blue screen repeatedly or hav device manager problems. The SAFEST thing is to ASSUME you have to do a clean install and prepare for it. It is always RECOMMENDED to do clean install every timeyou change motherboards.

Solution
Jan 18, 2020
Sir, thanks for the reply. It would seem everyone's opinion that I've asked is the same as yours. I'll just install all new hardware and do a fresh OS install.