[SOLVED] New Mobo/CPU/RAM, Can't boot Windows 10 Installation Media

billmcdougal

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I just got a new Gigabye Aorus z390 pro, an i7 9700k, and 2x8gb Ballistix DDR 3200.
I installed them in my old case with my old 750w psu, storage drives, and gtx 1070.

When I first powered it on, I chose to boot from the old windows drive, just to see if it would work. It hung at the windows logo, which I was not surprised about, and figured I would have to do a fresh install. When choosing to open Windows Repair, it froze at a similar logo though, which seemed a little odd.

I attempted to boot to the USB Win10 installation media I created with the Media Creation Tool, but it also freezes at the Windows logo if I don't choose the UEFI option, or the motherboard logo if I do. The dots will usually spin for a second or two before freezing.

I thought it might be my memory, so I ran memtest86 and it went through a whole pass with no issue. One weird thing is that my bios reports my ram as being 2400mhz, but memtest86 showed the 3200mhz. When I set it to manual config in bios and change to 3200mhz and reboot, it boots to bios indicating there was a problem and that it should be set back to normal configs. The timings seem way off as well and the voltage is low. Is this perhaps nothing to worry about, just related to the motherboard dynamically clocking the RAM or something?

When looking for similar posts, I found a lot of discussion around the USB media, but I just booted the laptop that created the media to the USB with no issue. I believe I have also tried booting it on the desktop build in both the regular and legacy security options.

The bios is version f8 and I believe there are some updates. Should I go ahead and give that a shot? I saw that f9 update included something about gen 9 support but I believe I ascertained that it does not relate to the current models of gen9 chips.

What might I be looking at here?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

CPU: i7 9700k
Motherboard: Gigabye Aorus z390 pro
Ram: 2x8gb Ballistix DDR 3200
SSD/HDD: 750gb crucial SATA SSD + 3tb SATA HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
PSU: 750w Rosewill
Chassis: Rosewill Mid ATX

Last edited:
Solution
Just as a precaution unplug and then re-seat every power connector including the motherboard 24 pin power connector...also reset the BIOS to defaults using the clear bios jumper. Re-seat your GPU and ram also.

Once you've done that enter the BIOS and make sure you select the USB boot option as your 1st boot choice and disable all other boot options.

Make sure that your USB boot drive is plugged into one of the motherboards USB ports on the back of your case...do not use a USB port on the front of your case unless you have no choice.

Give it a go...remember to change the boot options in the BIOS back to the C drive if the Windows install works.

billmcdougal

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
What were your previous specs? You're asked to reinstall your OS after you perform a platform upgrade. Speaking of upgrade, how old is your PSU?

My previous specs were an i5 2500k and 16gb ddr3.
Yup, I'm trying to fresh install my OS now, I was just trying to boot to windows at first because I was curious whether it would work.
My CPU is 7 years old now, but it's a 750w modular power supply so I figured that'd be enough.
I also read that the extra 4 pin power atx connector to the motherboard was not necessary so I'm only using the 8 pin connector.

Just as a precaution unplug and then re-seat every power connector including the motherboard 24 pin power connector...also reset the BIOS to defaults using the clear bios jumper. Re-seat your GPU and ram also.

Once you've done that enter the BIOS and make sure you select the USB boot option as your 1st boot choice and disable all other boot options.

Make sure that your USB boot drive is plugged into one of the motherboards USB ports on the back of your case...do not use a USB port on the front of your case unless you have no choice.

Give it a go...remember to change the boot options in the BIOS back to the C drive if the Windows install works.

Solution