FlareTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
Hello all! I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for quite some time now, but it'll have to wait and the first thing I wanted to do was SCALE DOWN. I currently have this huge case and wanted to get into the Fractal Design Core 1100 so I can keep my drive bays and my PSU, but would like a new small form factor motherboard that can allow me to still boost clock my CPU. I have tried searching but since its an older chipset I haven't been able to find anything. I do not mind using eBay and trusted sellers! I would really like the motherboard to be under $100, even under $80 if possible. I only have two sticks of RAM and I can just buy a WIFI card, so no biggie on anything like that but if it's included, the better. Please help! Thanks!

Solution
for a 7th gen the only real recommendation would be a Z270 board. Since you are dealing with the used market youll just have to look around and see whats available.

Saying that though, I wouldn't recommend buying one, if you are going to do a system update I would recommend going to a new Intel or IMO a Ryzen B450 build. The 1151 socket is dead, the 7th gen CPUs are the best you can do on it so unless you can find a board for 40 bucks or less I wouldn't say its a good investment since 7th gen i7s are still way to expensive on the used market where you can get 2nd gen Ryzen 2600 new for 120 or the insanely well price Ryzen 1600 AF (basically a slightly slower clock speed 2600) new for 85 bucks.
for a 7th gen the only real recommendation would be a Z270 board. Since you are dealing with the used market youll just have to look around and see whats available.

Saying that though, I wouldn't recommend buying one, if you are going to do a system update I would recommend going to a new Intel or IMO a Ryzen B450 build. The 1151 socket is dead, the 7th gen CPUs are the best you can do on it so unless you can find a board for 40 bucks or less I wouldn't say its a good investment since 7th gen i7s are still way to expensive on the used market where you can get 2nd gen Ryzen 2600 new for 120 or the insanely well price Ryzen 1600 AF (basically a slightly slower clock speed 2600) new for 85 bucks.

Solution
The case fits M-ATX or ITX motherboards.
I see a number of such boards on ebay offerd at $100 or less. Interestingly, ITX seems to be common.
You get only one pcie slot which would be used for the graphics card.
You might want one with wifi included. That is not a show stopper though since you can buy a usb wifi adapter for not much.
Live those small ITXbuilds.
I love the small lian li cases.
Here is the TU-150:

FlareTech

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015

Well I looked on ebay and got a ASUS STRIX Z270G New Open Box for $42! I will be using it for a year or two before I do my major PC upgrade so I think I got a good deal, I'll also be buying the Silverstone GD09B case as I can use it for my next build too. Thanks for the help!