New Mobo Help

TripleiMikey98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Im upgrading from a Gigabyte f2a88xm-hd3 AMD mobo to a Gigabyte B85-hd3 intel mobo so I can install a new processor. Iv looked around for answers on whether im going to have to install windows again on my ssd after I replace the mobo and iv come up with many conflicting answers. So im coming here to ask questions.

- Will I need to reinstall windows?
- If so how do I get old windows off my ssd so i can avoid taking up too much space.
- should I install new mobo drivers before or after mobo installation?
- If before, do i delete my old mobo drivers after new drivers are complete?

Solution
Reinstalling Windows will all depend on what kind of mood it's in, but generally it should just require a reactivation for your copy of Windows, however a fresh install is always better to do and would reduce any kind of problems. Keep in mind that this is for a RETAIL copy of Windows, and if you have an OEM copy (not sure about the the new EULA rules) it may not like the motherboard change and may refuse to activate.

I can't tell you much on anything else though, but I would say that you should install motherboard drivers after you change motherboard.

rv3392

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Reinstalling Windows will all depend on what kind of mood it's in, but generally it should just require a reactivation for your copy of Windows, however a fresh install is always better to do and would reduce any kind of problems. Keep in mind that this is for a RETAIL copy of Windows, and if you have an OEM copy (not sure about the the new EULA rules) it may not like the motherboard change and may refuse to activate.

I can't tell you much on anything else though, but I would say that you should install motherboard drivers after you change motherboard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS