[SOLVED] New Mobo Install: Win 7 Blue Screen

Jun 30, 2020
Good Evening TH Forum!

Today I installed the below components into existing PC build:

New CPU - Amd Ryzen 9 3900X
New RAM - DDR 4 Ram 16 gigs (2 sticks of 8)
New Mobo - Gigabyte B550 Aorus master
Existing GPU - Nvidia 1680ti
Existing Op Sys: Windows 7

PC operated perfectly fine prior to uninstalling the old components and installing the new components.

I've done this several times before with zero issues on starting up my PC and having it boot to Windows, so I feel confident that I've installed the new hardware correctly.

I attempted to:
-start in safe mode
-run windows repair
-run windows normally

All resulted in a blue screen that tells me "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer"

Error code "STOP: 0X0000007E"

Does anyone know what this means and/or have a resolution?

Solution
All new components
Old drive and its OS

And it fails
Yes, this often happens.

Sometimes you get lucky and it 'just works', but it often fails.
It needs a full wipe and reinstall.
Jun 30, 2020
All new components
Old drive and its OS

And it fails
Yes, this often happens.

Sometimes you get lucky and it 'just works', but it often fails.
It needs a full wipe and reinstall.

That's exactly the issue.

I reinstalled the old components and was going to download the new component drivers, then reinstall new hardware (again).

That's when I found out there aren't any Win 7 drivers for my new mobo.

I love Win 7 and didn't realize it was "obsolete". Been a while since my last upgrade I guess.

I'm just going to upgrade to Win 10 and be done with it.

Thanks for the reply!

That's exactly the issue.

I reinstalled the old components and was going to download the new component drivers, then reinstall new hardware (again).

That's when I found out there aren't any Win 7 drivers for my new mobo.

I love Win 7 and didn't realize it was "obsolete". Been a while since my last upgrade I guess.

I'm just going to upgrade to Win 10 and be done with it.

Thanks for the reply!
What system did you upgrade from ? W7 is extremly difficult to make to run with Ryzen 2000 and up. Even if it worked you'd be much better off with W10.

Jun 30, 2020
What system did you upgrade from ? W7 is extremly difficult to make to run with Ryzen 2000 and up. Even if it worked you'd be much better off with W10.

I went ahead and purchased a copy of Windows 10 to upgrade.

I didn't do my research ahead of time. I know better than this, but I was in a rush.

I basically just wanted to upgrade my CPU, but didn't realize how old my other components were. I went ahead and just upgraded everything including the OS from 7 to 10.

I also didn't realize Win 7 was so old. I've always liked it.

Edit: I've been operating on Win 7 for years.

I went ahead and purchased a copy of Windows 10 to upgrade.

I didn't do my research ahead of time. I know better than this, but I was in a rush.

I basically just wanted to upgrade my CPU, but didn't realize how old my other components were. I went ahead and just upgraded everything including the OS from 7 to 10.

I also didn't realize Win 7 was so old. I've always liked it.

Edit: I've been operating on Win 7 for years.
I had W7 (and everything before and after) but W7 worked only on my 1600x, didn't work with 2700x even on same MB. There are was to do it but too complicated for dubious results. W10 version 1903 and up have better handling of Ryzen which W7 will never get. BTW, you didn't need to buy W10, MS is still allowing free upgrade from W7. All you had to do is to upgrade it while W7 was still working or even do clean install, or clean install with registration from W7if it was retail version.