i recently updated my computer with the following parts

gigabyte z97p-d3
intel i5-4690k lga1150

i recycled the other parts
nvidia geforce gtx 650
2x hyperx blue series 4gb dimm memry module
500gb wd caviar hdd
some budget 500w psu

since installing the new mobo and cpu my computer only boots up the error recovery screen asking me to start windows repair or load normally. loading normally, my computers starts the windows logo screen and then BSOD for a second before restarting. system repair does nothing but attempt to restore to a previous point. i am able to get access to bios buti have next to knowledge of the options available there. can anyone help?

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
This is really a tough thing to diagnose with the info you gave. If possible, please provide a screen-capture of the BSOD (use a high res camera so we can make out the text) so at least there is a starting point to go off based on the error code the BSOD produces.

JACRunner

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

hi marek i found this topic today. this solved my issue and i managed to get my computer running right now

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Windows 7 and windows 8 are not prone to this issue as much as windows xp was... Windows 7/8 already have most of the generic drivers needed so most of the time if you switch parts it should work fine.

However, it is possible that the bsod is caused by wrong sata controller mode. If you originally installed windows in IDE mode and the bios is set to AHCI instead, windows will bsod... and the other way around if you originally installed windows with the bios set to AHCI and the new mobo is set to IDE then windows will bsod.

You can go into the bios and change the sata controller mode for the controller that your hard drive/ssd is plugged into... if this was the cause for windows bsoding it should boot up fine... and now that you're in windows there's a registry value you can change to make windows work in the opposite sata controller mode... Microsoft even has an easy fix it installer for this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976