New mobo not getting to bios and no display/peripherals

nevarner

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
I have a new z370 extreme4 mobo for my new i7 8700k, and it doesn't reach the bios screen or give power to display, keyboard or mouse. Other specs:
Gtx 1080ti
Ax1200i psu
Corsair water cooler (cant remember model)
Various Evo ssds
Gskill tridentz ddr4-3200 8g×2 (2 sets of 2)
Other than the mobo and CPU, the rest was in a working rig before today (had similar issues with previous rig but it would work fine after clearing cmos, while this one does not)
I've tried different ram configurations s (always pairing dimms from same set with each other) having only cpu and one stick of ram, tried with different sticks. Tried using a different psu that I know works (hx850). Tried with no satas plugged in, with only the boot device plugged in, etc.... Removed battery for 5 mins and reset cmos multiple times. Still exact same issue after every change made, only got the bios_a_led1 kit which is normal. Since this is a similar issue to my previous build, vit with literally no identical components plugged in in many cases, I'm completely at a loss. Is the mobo faulty or is it something else?

How old is your power supply?

Might want to pull the CPU and make sure you don't have any bent pins. That is one of the most common reasons for the type of symptoms you're describing, at least on these forums.

The other possibilities include not fully seating the two four pin or 8 pin EPS 12v power connector to the motherboard, in addition to the 24 pin ATX connector, not seating RAM fully, not seating graphics card fully or in the correct slot,

Triple check EVERY single thing listed here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Also, did those four memory modules come together, ALL in one kit, or is it 2 different 2 stick kits you are trying to use together?

It's very possible you cannot run all four together. Try using only two modules, likely in the A2 and B2 slots, and see if it will POST like that. If it does, then you almost certainly will have to increase the memory voltage to get four modules to run together and if they did not all come together in a kit, it's very likely they won't run at all.

Using two modules together that didn't come in a kit is a crapshoot in any case, using two DIFFERENT sets of memory together, EVEN IF THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME PART NUMBER, is a long shot in the best of cases. Even more so if they are NOT the exact same model numbers bought at the exact same time, which still does not guarantee they will be compatible. And if they were bought at different times, it's highly likely they are not even similar even if they use the same part number. These manufacturers recycle part numbers continuously, so if you bought a set with part number xyz last year, and another set this year with the same part number, there is every chance they are not even similar in construction.

See here for evidence of this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3610013/amd-ram-compatibility.html#20562100

nevarner

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018

My PSU is a few years old but runs just fine on my previous rig (everything I listed above with just a different mobo and cpu), and I also tested this rig with an alternate 850W psu that works on another pc of mine. Seems it's not my PSU.
Thanks, I've tried all the steps on the list and just got my old mobo+cpu running with all the other components I've listed and it's working fine, including the 4 dimms of RAM (they came in two separate sets, but I pair the sticks from each set with each other so they work fine, and I've tested them on another rig). I've also tried running it with just 1 stick (tried all the sticks, in A2 or B2)
Considering everything works on a different mobo+cpu it seems that it's either the new mobo or cpu that's causing issues. I checked the cpu pins and they all look good, too.

Did you buy that motherboard and CPU NEW, from an authorized vendor, or was it used, or through a private seller of some kind like a third party vendor on ebay or Amazon?

Also, it didn't seem to me that it WAS working fine, if you had to remove the CMOS battery every time you started it up. That would seem to indicate a pretty big issue, unless it is no longer doing that. That too, is likely a memory related issue. Not for certain, but highly likely. Might try only two sticks in that system to see if you still have the problem with having to reset the bios every start.

Did you strip the system down, as was recommended in the link I posted? No drives attached? One stick of RAM in the slot indicated by the motherboard manual for single module operation?

Where are you connecting the AIO pump and fans? Is anything connected to the CPU_FAN header? Many systems won't even start up if there is no RPM signal on the CPU_FAN header.

Have you tried removing the GPU card and using the integrated CPU graphics output on the motherboard? Perhaps there is an issue with that.

If you can't get it to at least POST or even gain a display and bios capability, with no drives attached, one stick of memory and no graphics card installed, then there must be something wrong with either the power supply, cpu or motherboard. Bench testing it outside the case would probably be a good idea. Maybe you got a standoff in the wrong place or accidentally misplaced a screw between the board and case, and is shorting out the board from the bottom. We've seen that happen a good many times as well. Benching the board on the counter top would be a good idea.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html

nevarner

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah the CPU was new from the Intel vendor on Amazon.

My previous rig was very strange, often starting with no problems and often I'd have to reset cmos, and sometimes just powering down and on a few times got it to work. After not getting my new board/cpu to work I just transplanted all the stuff back in and it started up 100% fine multiple times so I'm thinking there may have been a screw or something shorting the board like you suggested, but I'll have to test with the new board again.

I've stripped it down and tried it with just one stick of ram, changed which actual stick was being used as well. I made sure I had the cpu fan plugged in right, and tried it without the gpu, just using the integrated graphics.

I think the only thing I haven't tried is benching it on a countertop, I'll give that a try when I have some free time, thanks for the suggestion