Question New mobo problems

May 19, 2019
Hello folks.
I just bought a new cpu/ram/mobo for an upgrade I've been saving for. Installed, formatted and updated drivers but my new overall performance is crappy to say the least. Here is what I got:
  • Core i5 9600k
  • DDR 4 16gb 3200mhz Hyper X Predator (dual channel)
  • Z390 UD Gigabyte
I already had a Nvidia 1060 6gb and a power supply (750w 80plus Gold Cooler Master).
As I mentioned, I'm getting a terrible banchmark and I can't figure out why... I didn't touch the bios, since I'm not very tech savvy and don't want to screw up. The only thing that looks abnormal to me is that my ram is listed as 1200mhz (2400 on dual channel) even though it is supposedly 3200, but I don't think this is the sole responsible for my predicament. Any suggestions are welcome!

UserBenchmarks: Game 29%, Desk 23%, Work 20%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K - 17.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 62.9%
SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB - 125.8%
SSD: Sandisk PLUS 480GB - 43.3%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 43.2%
MBD: Gigabyte Z390 UD

Thanks!

May 19, 2019
By "formatted and updated drivers" you meant a full install of Windows, correct?
Yeah, at least I think I did (followed all onscreen messages for "reset computer"). I say that because I realized that post-formatting, most of my drivers were already updated. Not sure if this was supposed to be this way, though, since last time I formatted a computer, I remember having to reinstall all drivers from scratch.

Yeah, at least I think I did (followed all onscreen messages for "reset computer"). I say that because I realized that post-formatting, most of my drivers were already updated. Not sure if this was supposed to be this way, though, since last time I formatted a computer, I remember having to reinstall all drivers from scratch.
You don't want to reset, but actually a full reinstall of Windows from a USB.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The only thing that looks abnormal to me is that my ram is listed as 1200mhz (2400 on dual channel) even though it is supposedly 3200
To reach 3200 you'll need to enable XMP and run at the OC speed setting.

I'm getting a terrible banchmark
Is this the only issue you're having? A bad benchmark? Any issue in your actual applications?

I'll be honest, userbenchmark does not reflect reality, it compares yours to even overclocked CPUs so in effect yours is not being compared to like for like. If you want a true gauge, use something like Cinebench instead - which will at least be a better test.

But in all honesty, I think people get way to worked up about benchmarks like userbenchmark, they rarely reflect reality, never necessarily reflect a performance impact, and never represent like for like situations. If you're not encountering a problem in the applications you're using, don't worry.

I didn't touch the bios,
A BIOS update could certainly help, you don't need to be tech savvy, it's a simple process, just follow the instructions on your motherboard manual.

If you are concerned, you can double check temperatures of your components and CPU cores under load and verify you don't have excessive background usage.

A fresh OS may also help as this is usually best practice when you change components - and will get rid of any old and redundant drivers that can also cause performance problems.

May 19, 2019
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.
PC Tailor - No, my overall performance is terrible (for example: I'm watching the nba game on league pass right now and I'm getting some weird stuttering in the stream). Way worse than my previous build which was almost seven years old. I understand that some people rely on benchmarks too much but in this case it really shows I have a problem with my setup.

Thanks again, folks.

Reactions: PC Tailor
May 19, 2019
Folks, just a follow up on my predicament for those on a similar situation: after a lot of frustration and countless hours testing everything possible I realized that my cpu was capped at 800mhz on boot, even though the bios was configured correctly. I know now that I should have noticed this much earlier but... whatever.

This seems to be a problem with a device called BD ProcHot from the motherboard, which regulates the cpu to throttle down when overheating is detected. Obviously, my brand new setup was not overheating and it seems to be a problem with the sensor that detects overheat from my Z390 UD.

This can be circumvented with a software called ThrottleStop (apparently used by enthusiasts to overclock their computers). In ThrottleStop there is an option to disable BD ProcHot and therefore enable your cpu to achieve its proper frequency. I don't encourage people to live on that by no means, since ProcHot is a safety measure to our precious CPU, but it can at least allow me to use my computer to full potential while I wait for my vendor to change my mobo.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS