[SOLVED] New mobo, ram, and cpu, but only a black screen

Aug 17, 2019
Quick Summary: I have decided to upgrade my computer with a GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H motherboard, two 8gb ram cards model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB, and a cpu Ryzen 2600 model YD260XBCAFBOX. Upon installing as carefully as possible, all I get is a black screen.

Longer Story: I wanted to upgrade my computer and got a new cpu for it. I had only upgraded my gpu before, and promptly learned that newer cpu's won't fit my older motherboard. So I got the above motherboard with the ram while checking everything on the compatibility list this time. I followed the steps to install as closely as possible, and have checked the troubleshooting list at: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ing-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536

The cpu and ram are brand new, and I've been using the gpu for a bit and it works fine. I am upgrading from a cpu amd 4300 quad-core, with 8 gb of ram, on a GA-78LMT-S2 rev 1.2 motherboard. My gpu is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 on the old and new setup, and my OS is windows 10.

After installing everything, hooking up all the cords, triple checking each step and item, and going through a long troubleshooting list, I am still stuck with a black screen. No sound or image at all.

Last edited:
Solution
The system does not start up, and I do not have a 1st gen ryzen to use until I update it. Is there a way to update the bios without having to start up the computer?
No, with that motherboard you must have a cpu compatible with the current BIOS to perform the BIOS update. If you cannot return the motherboard or find a cpu from a friend then a local shop may be able to help for a small charge.
The system does not start up, and I do not have a 1st gen ryzen to use until I update it. Is there a way to update the bios without having to start up the computer?
No, with that motherboard you must have a cpu compatible with the current BIOS to perform the BIOS update. If you cannot return the motherboard or find a cpu from a friend then a local shop may be able to help for a small charge.

Solution
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for the help. After using the other CPU, it loaded up and I was able to change the bios. Strangely, the Ryzen 2600x needed f20 or better, but f32 was already installed. After changing back to the older f20, my new CPU worked and everything is booted. Not sure why an older bios was needed, but just glad everything is fixed now.

Thanks again for the quick help.

TRENDING THREADS