Question New mobo steps with windows

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I just want to try and clarify how this process works and what I need to do ahead of time.
I've been upgrading components of my PC over time as people do, and I'm about to get a new mobo, cpu, ram combo and add it in with my current drives and drives, case etc. Everything but the mobo has been upgraded at one point or another in the past. I have done 2 clean installs of windows in this computer's (mobo) life.

Should I expect to have to purchase a new product key for win 10. I originally purchased a hard copy of windows 8 that has since been lost. Or can I just find my product key in my system and write it down or should windows go ahead and activate after I enter my windows live information.
When I do do another fresh install of windows, should I format the drive first and use a usb/disk to install, or is it possible to "plug and play" my way into Windows and it will do its windows detecting thing and after that, perform a fresh install?

when upgrading to new motherboard I always wipe the existing OS and install a fresh version and then install all of the latest motherboard and device drivers and software.
it can help reduce the risk of problems with incompatible drivers and other device conflicts that sometimes arise.

Microsoft ended the free upgrade option in the end of 2017 but many claim the option still arises when installing Windows 10 from within Windows 7/8. i would suggest searching around the internet to see if this is a possibility for you.

after the new system is configured and verified working;
install Windows 8 with your working serial. then download the latest Windows 10 install package from Microsoft and start the upgrade.

you will need your Windows 8 serial though. if you have not kept track of it than you may be out of luck and will need to purchase a new serial for Windows 10.
you may be able to find the serial located on your Windows > Control Panel > System page.
When I do do another fresh install of windows, should I format the drive first and use a usb/disk to install, or is it possible to "plug and play" my way into Windows and it will do its windows detecting thing and after that, perform a fresh install?
if you have a Windows 8 DVD than you will just need to use that to format the drives and install. the DVD GUI will walk you through the steps of choosing a drive and setting it up for the OS install.

You can try the direct Windows 10 install method. I used it a couple months ago successfully but am not sure if it still works. You must have the original Windows 8 key to attempt this. Since you are installing a new motherboard you'll definitely need to install the OS fresh (plus all your programs, etc.)

Download the Windows 10 USB install image using the official Microsoft tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
(you'll need an 8+GB USB)

After downloading to USB, boot off the Win 10 USB and install the Windows 10 version equivalent to your Windows 8 (home to home, pro to pro).

After the install attempt to activate Windows 10 using your Windows 8 key.

If you PC is still up and running, I would try an upgrade to Windows 10 using the MS Media Creation Tool. Follow the steps in this link until you get to the "What do you want to do" screen and chose "Upgrade this PC" (#4 screen in the link). https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ If you get a free upgrade, it will be saved in your MS account, so you can install Windows 10 after your upgrades without having to buy Windows 10.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Alright. I already have windows 10 up and running on my PC. I did this part a long time ago when upgrading. My windows 10 is tied to my Microsoft live account. About a year ago my hdd with my OS failed, i got a new ssd and installed a fresh copy of win 10 via usb and didn't have to enter a product key(which i mentioned i didn't have) because my Microsoft live account activated windows after i logged in. I don't need to upgrade, just providing backstory that might be relevant.
I guess what im wanting to know is if i can basically follow those exact same steps with a new mobo, or if i would have to purchase a new copy since windows will think its a new computer. Or if there is a way around this by doing a fresh os install after replacing the hardware.(I'm aware of conflicts that will undoubtedly arise, but any method i use involves a clean install of windows at some point or another.)

Should be no problem installing Windows 10 with your new mobo. (absolutely should do a clean install) As you said the Windows 10 license is no longer tied to your mobo, but your MS account. If you are asked for a COA, there is an activation phone number option, where you can call MS and get your install with your new mobo activated.

Reactions: bryanc723