New Mobo won't boot from my SSD

shaidyn

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hi there,

I just finished putting together my new rig, and it's booting to the Bios just fine. But, no matter what I do, it won't seem to boot from my SSD.

The motherboard is an Asus x99 A-ii, and the SSD is a samsung SSD (500GB) with windows 7 installed.

When I restart the machine, it goes right to the BIOS. In EZ mode, it shows my SSD on the attached drives, and it shows my SSD as the top listing in the Boot Priority (P5).

If I go to the advanced view, I've disabled fast boot, but CSM is enabled (as is secure boot).

In the boot override section, it lists the Bios on top of the SSD, but in the boot priority the SSD is on top of the BIOS.

I'm wondering if y'all can think of what I need to do to make the motherboard recognize that the SSD is bootable and boot from it.

Thanks.

Karl_oh

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
hmm yeah the boot priority might be the issue - sometimes you can have two sets of similar named boot sequences. A good thing to check as well is that you have removed all other sata connections aside from your OS Drive and see if that fixes it

shaidyn

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks for the tip. I unplugged the other device (was my DVD drive) and rewired the SSD.

Now my boot priority is P1 - SSD. There's nothing else there, but it still boots straight to BIOS instead of to the OS.

Karl_oh

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

Hmm, have you tried it with another ssd or harddrive? The ssd may be faulty

shaidyn

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Unfortunately I don't have any other bootable drives around. I can't imagine this one has gone faulty, all I did was move it from my old build (where it worked great) to my new one.

As far as I can tell the bios thinks it's a lovely drive, but simply won't use it to boot up.