New mobo worked then didn't

nigniglova

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
So I got a new mobo and that's some MSI mobo. It was working, everything was working, for like a night. The next morning it was off and wouldn't turn on.

Computer doesn't turn on. I strip it down so it only has the cpu + cpu fan, mobo, and psu connected in the two places. What happens then is it turns on for like half a second, everything turns on, the fans, the psu, but turns off right after.
pl
Thinking it was my mobo, since that was the new part, I bring it in to the computer store and they hook it up and it works. So now Im thinking it's definitely the PSU. I get a new psu Corsair GS600 and what happens when i try to plug that into the mobo is the light turns but the psu fan doesn't. It makes a funny noise and after a second it sparks. Now the light only turns on for a second (on the new psu) then turns off. And yeah computer still doens't turn on...

Old psu still works same as ever, as in not at all.

HELP! Is it a coincidence that BOTH psus not working or is something shorting my psus? I tried a different house plug with same result. How can the problem be with my mobo if it works with different stuff attached to it?? I been thinking about this and I don't see a logical answer.

EDIT: Yes The PSUs are enough wattage. Newegg says my system only needs 480W, my old psu is 950W i know overkill right? and my new psu is 650 W

beenthere

Distinguished
It sounds like you are shorting something out. You can try testing the mobo out of the case if you haven't already. You'll need to place it on a non-electrically conductive surface and then hook everythng up to the mobo.

nigniglova

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

i did that. It's sitting on cardboard currently.