[SOLVED] New mobo, yet existing Windows installation still works ?

Okay so I just got all my new hardware in my pc.

I disconnected all drives besides my Windows drive that I was about to re-install windows on.

Im just unsure if I absolutely should seeing as my license for Windows was a OEM key.

Thing is, Windows did not deactivate on my pc even with the new mobo.

Is there any tests I can run to see if NOT fresh installing Windows will cause any issues? Or is this because my license is connected to my Microsoft account? (that I didnt have to log back into upon starting the PC)

Or should I just suck it up, fresh install, and buy a new key..?

Thanks ahead of time!

CURRENT BUILD

MOBO: tomahawk b550
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
GPU: 4070ti
MEMORY: 32gb ddr4 3200mhz
PSU: EVGA 850w B5

Solution
I went from tomahawk b450 to the tomahawk b550.
Yes, you reinstall the OS. As for your licensing question, you have another thread asking the same question, here, you should be able to link your account and things should move smoothly from there. You could also contact Microsoft support and verify if the key can migrate. Personally, I know that the OEM key is tied to the BIOS chip, on the motherboard, so new motherboard, new licensing.

Regardless of the license, you don't want to recycle your OS install since they are not the same platforms. If you have a lot of time in your hands to waste, be my guest and report back on how long you survive with recycling an older OS install on a new platform. Experience has taught me...
even with the new mobo.
Define, new motherboard. Is this a board with the same make and model or a board that's an upgrade to an older platform?

Weird part is I also installed a totally new gpu (from 2060 super to 4070ti)

And a totally new CPU (3800x to 5900x)

I was positive windows would have deactivated with all the hardware changes... but it didnt... Im currently using my Windows 11 Pro from my Windows drive to send this message.

Are there any tests I can run to see if NOT fresh installing windows will cause future problems?

Just kinda wondering if I can leave it and not have to buy a new key since apparently, I just got super lucky...

Lutfij

Titan
Yes, you reinstall the OS. As for your licensing question, you have another thread asking the same question, here, you should be able to link your account and things should move smoothly from there. You could also contact Microsoft support and verify if the key can migrate. Personally, I know that the OEM key is tied to the BIOS chip, on the motherboard, so new motherboard, new licensing.

Regardless of the license, you don't want to recycle your OS install since they are not the same platforms. If you have a lot of time in your hands to waste, be my guest and report back on how long you survive with recycling an older OS install on a new platform. Experience has taught me that it's not going to end well for you.

Reactions: PEnns and Jason H.
Solution

Regardless of the license, you don't want to recycle your OS install since they are not the same platforms. If you have a lot of time in your hands to waste, be my guest and report back on how long you survive with recycling an older OS install on a new platform. Experience has taught me that it's not going to end well for you.

Well yea.. obviously Im aware of the potential issues.

I just didnt expect for Windows to even activate upon boot and just let me right into the PC.

I didnt know if this was a good sign or not regarding the license, so if I go ahead with the fresh install if it would work the same by just logging into my Microsoft account.

Because as previously mentioned, I didnt expect this to happen.

Fresh install went smooth.

License still intact... makes no sense with a OEM key but.... WHATEVER... its done.

Maybe they accidentally labeled it an OEM key.. Or maybe I decided to not buy an OEM key and bought a discounted retail key for 20 bucks.. either way it works.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Lutfij