Question New monitor (144hz) connection dilemma..

kolz2788

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Hey all,

didn't expect this, but I purchased the HP 25x (Capable of 144hz). Now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My Video card has 3 outputs. Two DVI outputs, and one HDMI mini output. How am I to obtain a refresh rate at or above 120?

Is my only option a new video card with Displayport?

I've read forums saying you can buy this : https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Dual-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY#customerReviews

but I don't understand how that would work, do I need to buy a DVI to DVI cable on top of that?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See section 2.1 Displayport.

If your computer does not have a DP output port, it is difficult to get high refresh rates through an adapter. There are HDMI to DP adapters available for up to 1080p 120 Hz (see Section 3.4.1), but there are currently no adapters capable of higher formats such as 1080p 144+ Hz or 1440p 120+ Hz (last checked: March 2019). There are also no DVI to DP adapters capable of high refresh rates (last checked: March 2019).

What graphics card is it?

kolz2788

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
See section 2.1 Displayport.

What graphics card is it?

550 ti

kolz2788

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Im not sure on this but it seems the card itself 550ti only supports up to 120Hz in 1080p. Official info on this is difficult to find, only forum talk.

What's your uses for the card?

Can you list your entire specs plz

120hz is fine. I'm just unclear as to how to make that connection? DVI to HDMI cable? or do I have to go DVI to DVI with an DVI to HDMI adapter...?

I've had the card for five years. I mostly just use my computer for browing, streaming, and minimal gaming.

What's the purpose of my entire specs?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Glenwing reckons hdmi will work, try mini hdmi to hdmi cable. Do you still have your 550ti box? Wondering if included an adapter with any luck so you can try 120Hz now without spending.

What's the purpose of my entire specs?

To help suggest a card if you considered upgrading gpu to have Displayport if Hdmi doesn't work since Dvi to DP adapters wont. Could think about a GT 1030 or 1050 if your pc isn't too old and psu is at least 300w.

Last edited:

kolz2788

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Looks like my video card came with..

DVI-to-VGA Adapter : Use to connect a VGA monitor to the DVI connector or a DVI monitor to the VGA connector.

Mini-HDMI-to-HDMI Adapter : Use to connect the mini-HDMI connector on the card to a regular size HDMI connector

Does this help my situation? lol