Question New monitor and card not displaying anything!

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Problem summary: new monitor and graphics card since yesterday but after hours of trying cannot get the new monitor to go past the motherboard password once entered (yes it is the correct password it's only a simple 4 digits) even if I have it disabled while connected to my old monitor then switched back to the new one nothing shows, just a black screen. I did after about 2 hours get it working all ok last night somehow but after disconnecting it today I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts!

What would cause my new monitor (AOC 27" 4k) to not display past the user password I have set on my Asus P8Z68 motherboard? It won't seem to go past it once entered. Oddly the hard disk activity led on my PC case does not flash at all either suggesting its stuck after it's entered as I can also ctrl alt delete and the computer reboots straight to the password again but still will not go past it.

It is connected to a new GTX 1050 with either display port or hdmi (have not bothered to try dvi yet).

I had problems with the new AOC monitor finding the output from the DP and HDMI on the new card right from the start yesterday. Somehow I managed to get it working in full native 4k after installing the latest Nvidia drivers while connected to one of the display outputs on the cpu (i7-2700k) to my old monitor. Once installed I rebooted and made sure the new card was connected to the new monitor and it eventually did work but since this morning after which I disconnected the monitor and new card to tidy up around the desk area I've connected it back up to get the same problem of it not displaying anything apart from the Asus motherboard password which then the screen goes blank when it should show the initial motherboard specs and devices connected before entering into Windows 7.

Things I've made sure of:

My old GTX 570 is disconnected
PCIE is selected in Asus motherboard options to stop the iGFX

Another thing I've noticed which I do not get at all is IF the new GTX 1050 is connected physically to the board, and I try to connect the old monitor to the internal cpu video output my old monitor will always show 'no input' and go into standby mode. If I disconnect the GTX 1050 then guarenteed my old monitor will show the motherboard password AND crucially log into Windows just as have done now before writing this. What is causing that?

I hope you can understand what my issue is, I'll try to explain more if needed.

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
what do you mean gtx 570 disconnected? is it not remove from the computer?
does the 1050 need pcie power?

I mean that I removed it from the PCIe 3.0 slot, the P8Z68-V/GEN3 board has two of those slots and the new GTX 1050 is in one of them. I was just clarifying that I only had the newer card installed at one time, obviously there is no need for the 570 and 1050 to be connected at the same time.

The Evga 1050 card does not have any power inputs. The card was working and connected to my new monitor last night (after 2 hours figuring it out and installing the latest Nvidia drivers)

Basically I cannot use my old monitor with my new 1050 card because a) the old monitor only accepts D-sub VGA input and b) the new 1050 card does not have D-sub output only DP, HDMI and DVI connections.

If I try to install the latest Nvidia drivers for the 1050 card it says it cannot find the hardware and does not continue. This is because I'm using the CPU video output to my old monitor while the 1050 card is not connected to the motherboard. The reason for this is IF I try to connect the 1050 card to the PCIe slot I cannot even boot into Windows using the CPU video output, the display shows 'No input'! (crazy I know, something is interfering and it's a massive annoyance especially as I had the signal going through my 1050 card into the the monitor last night in 4k). Only by removing the 1050 card from the PCIe slot can I get into Windows using the CPU video output.

It's all quite confusing this is why I hope someone with the know how to explain what should be done in order to things working properly.

Edit: this is my first new monitor for 14 years, I thought they were plug & play clearly not in my case!

Cheers.