New monitor brightness question.

martinc77

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hi, I bought this monitor "HP w2071d" as a gift for Christmas and while testing it to make sure everything works I noticed that it was way to bright. Especially when looking at it from above, and no amount of tinkering in the settings seems to fix it. I'm currently using an old Acer "P205H" that I bought years ago and it doesn't have those issues. Is this normal on newer monitors or is this one defective? If it isn't defective, what should I look for when I go look for another one to avoid this problem?

Thanks for any help in advance.

martinc77

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
It looks washed out when looking straight at it. When looking at it from above (while standing) it's super bright. It looks ok when I slide down into my chair and kinda look at it from below or when I tilt the monitor back. When standing further away and off to the side it looks ok too. But no matter what it doesn't look as sharp as my 5 year old $100 monitor.

martinc77

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Yes I tried the link you posted and did some other tweaks as well. No matter what I tried, all blacks looked grey and colors were kinda dull. I returned the monitor and will look for something better.