Question New monitor causing PC to crash

Oct 16, 2022
Hey Everyone, I just added a second monitor to my setup. I have a LG 27GP850-B and an ACER XF251Q. After adding the LG I am now having issues with games freezing/crashing and then my PC crashing and restarting. It mainly seems to happen when I ALT+Tab or hit the windows key, but it will also happen randomly. I can play some games with little to no crashes (Halo), but then when I play Escape From Tarkov it crashes constantly.

The LG is connected via DisplayPort and overclocked to 180hz at 1440p. The ACER is connected via HDMI at 1080p/60hz. I game on the LG and use the ACER for discord/game wikis.

I have my graphics settings in game at 1440p on high with the FPS max at 180. I’ve tried Fullscreen and borderless. I also tried using the DP cable that came with the monitor and a different one I bought off Amazon, as well as another DP port on the GPU.

I’ve updated my GPU drivers, checked to make sure the LG has the latest firmware, and double checked to make sure my refresh rate in windows matches my GPU and in-game settings.
One of the BSOD I got was memory management, I ran a memory diagnostic and no issues were found. I also ran sfc/scannow and there were some corrupted files that were repaired. The other BSOD I got was system service exception. Seems like I randomly get one or the other when it crashes.

Starting to wonder if it’s just a faulty monitor? This LG is supposed to be one of the best 1440p monitors. No crashes prior to adding the LG.

PC specs (build is only a few months old):
Nvidia 3070ti FE
RYZEN 5 5600x
DDR4 32gb 3600 Mhz
MSI B550
Corsair RM850x

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022
I would suggest removing the overclock and see how you do.
I don't imagine you will see any difference between 165 and 180hz.
I’ll give it a shot. I just updated the motherboard and no crashes after a couple games using just the LG. Going to try using both monitors later and see what happens.

Oct 16, 2022
So you went from playing at 1080/60 hz up to 1440/180? That's hell lot of work increase for GPU. I would say it was pretty much idling before and only now is doing real work, so first suspect here is failing GPU.
I was thinking that as well, is there a way to test it? I did a performance test on the PC when I first built it and everything looked good. When running just the 1440p at 180hz, the GPU is at 100% and 70°C.

Last edited: