new monitor displays win7 boot screen but goes to no input after windows login screen loads

Dec 31, 2018
I bought a BENQ EW3270U 4K monitor, (plugged it in at the store to test if it worked), boxed it up etc. got home, there was no HDMI cable even though the clerk said there was. Luckily i had one laying around and used that for the time being. So I don't know if there was one and it wasn't put back in or not..
Plugged it into my Geforce GT720 video card via the hdmi port. Yes it does support 3840x2160. I checked on GeForce's website.
I have windows 7
The boot screens display (dell logo shows up, windows loading screen shows up), then it goes black and says "no input detected".
On the speakers, I can hear the windows login screen load.
I booted it in safe mode and I can use it. But when I go into device manager, there is no "monitor" showing. So I can't detect, install update any drivers. (I guess it's using a generic driver.)(maybe my current hdmi cable isn't the right specs? but it will display through the cable in safe mode)
It came with an instructional cd. There was a page on connecting to windows 7 but what was written seems like you can just plug and play. There are drivers on the cd or on the webpage but I don't know how to install them. Double clicking won't work obviously.

I have no idea what to do.
At this point the only thing I can think of is maybe the cable isn't proper?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8T0YQ/ref=ppx_od...

this is my hdmi cable. It says it supports 4k 2160p up to 60Hz but I think it's only hdmi 1.4
do i need hdmi 2.0?

nothing in the manual specifies any particular type of hdmi

Solution
try this:
remove the login password in safe mode, change power settings that win shuts down, if power button (case) is pressed.
reboot and let windows load completely, even if you cant see anything, just give it 2min.
now press the power button, this will shutdown windows.
boot again and see if windows now recognises the moni correctly, you might have to repeat the boot/shutdown cycle 1-2 more times,
before it picks it up.

if not, try with a "certified" 4K cord.
you dont need +50$ cables, but i prefer getting a brand you at least know the name.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
try this:
remove the login password in safe mode, change power settings that win shuts down, if power button (case) is pressed.
reboot and let windows load completely, even if you cant see anything, just give it 2min.
now press the power button, this will shutdown windows.
boot again and see if windows now recognises the moni correctly, you might have to repeat the boot/shutdown cycle 1-2 more times,
before it picks it up.

if not, try with a "certified" 4K cord.
you dont need +50$ cables, but i prefer getting a brand you at least know the name.

Solution
Dec 31, 2018
Well, thanks! That actually worked. However after an hour of using the monitor, it just went black and said no input detected. I rebooted my computer and it started beeping non-stop in a kinda fast succesion. Was that the beep code for display issues? Anyways on the next reboot, it had to go through some startup repair. I may just have to upgrade my computer.

R0GG

Distinguished
I would - with PC off, disconnected totally from power and after grounding yourself- start by re-seating memory modules [ remove, reinstall] and re-seating graphic card making sure it's not sagging (if needed put tower on side to get card straight vertical for testing purpose)and output cables coming out of graphic card (HDMI for example) are not twisted and not exercising strain on the card: at times moving/straightening it helps recover display.

Not forgetting to check graphic card is getting enough power (PCIe power plugs connected to it).
Re-seat ( or temporarily remove) any PCI extension card.
Verify all power connector to motherboard and CPU are well attached and snug (best is to disconnect- reconnect)

If the above don't fix the issue, re-seat CPU as well and if experimented verify with caution socked/CPU pins if applicable.

Dec 31, 2018
well, i can't say how many beeps it was because it didn't stop. It was a continuous beep and it was kinda fast.
everything works fine when my regular hd monitor is plugged in