Question New monitor hurts eyes?

Jack0123

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Yesterday I switched to a 24 inch Dell P2419H Flicker Free, 60Hz, 1080p (IPS pannel) from an ASUS 21.5 (TN pannel) inch which I have had for 3 years. I am experiencing mild eye pain even on the option "Comfort View" which is basically low blue light mode with reduced brightness. Do you guys think its because I'm not used to it? I can return it in 30 days. Do I keep it until my eyes get used to it?

Jack0123

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
It's common for this to happen when switching to a new monitor. Compare it to your old monitor and you may figure out what's causing it. It's typically brightness. But you should get used to it within the 30 day return period.

Alright, it's just that I haven't changed my monitor in quite a while. Have you ever experienced eye fatigue/pain when switching to a new monitor from an old one after using it for a long time?

It's not clear if you were asking about using the new or old monitor for a long time but regardless, you shouldn't have eye issues unless you are setting brightness really high in a dark room. You are staring at a bright light and you would never get used to that. The brightness goes so high for well lit rooms or outside usage. I always have to set brightness to the lowest.

Monitors typically ship in "torch mode" (peak brightness) because it's visible in a brightly lit room. TV's in a brightly lit showroom are typically the same

Calibrate that brightness WAY down. It may seem a bit dim at first, but you can bump contrast and saturation. It won't be photo work quality, but it will be MUCH easier on your eyes

After years with an edge-lit TV I recently upgraded the big screen with a Local Dimming Full Array, and WOW! I mean it looks more realistic but I felt being bombarded with radiation! :D I had to switch it from normal to movie/dark to be comfortable. Don't get bog down by people telling you have to do this, you have to do that for accuracy/performance blah-blah, if your eyes don't like it, eyes is boss.