New monitor Question. (DVI, HDMI, etc)

imijj

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I am interested in getting a new monitor, but my current graphics card can only accept DVI connections. The monitor I'm interested in only has DVI. I've tried using a converter but on the monitor I tried it still says it can't detect an HDMI cable. Will I have to buy a new graphics card, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

edit: here is my current video card: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-260/specifications
and here is the monitor I'm interested in: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.309552300

Solution
That monitor runs at 3840 x 2160.

The max resolution from your video card is 2560x1600.

So it doesn't matter which cable you use. You card can't drive the monitor.

When you get a new video card, get one that has a Display Port output. It's the best one now.

As a side note, that monitor is 30Hz. You'll hate that! It'll make everything suttery, even moving your mouse across the screen will look like a flip book. And it'll strain your eyes. I know it's a good deal, but try to get something that has at least 60 Hz, even though it costs more. Your eyes will last longer.

Eggz

Distinguished
That monitor runs at 3840 x 2160.

The max resolution from your video card is 2560x1600.

So it doesn't matter which cable you use. You card can't drive the monitor.

When you get a new video card, get one that has a Display Port output. It's the best one now.

As a side note, that monitor is 30Hz. You'll hate that! It'll make everything suttery, even moving your mouse across the screen will look like a flip book. And it'll strain your eyes. I know it's a good deal, but try to get something that has at least 60 Hz, even though it costs more. Your eyes will last longer.

Solution
The monitor has inputs for DisplayPort, mini-DisplayPort and HDMI.
From your current graphics card, you could use a DVI to HDMI cable but you will be limited to 1920x1080.
To really take advantage of this monitor, you will need a new graphics card.
Any GeForce 7XX or 9XX graphics card with a HDMI output (not just DVI with an adapter) should allow 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz.
I would suggest though that you pick something with a DisplayPort output, like the GTX 760 or GTX 960.