ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hi,

I've recently gone from a 1080p 60Hz TV from a 2k 144Hz monitor (ASUS PG279Q to be exact). When playing on my TV, in pretty much all games I could play with high setting and in some cases fully maxed out with a smooth 60fps and the games would look like butter. With my new monitor its so different, for instance 60fps (even when changing the monitor to 60Hz) looks really choppy and even with G-SYNC enabled.

I'm now playing the same games with the same settings and getting FPS like 75-144Hz, depending on the game of course, which is great, so I appreciate that people are gonna say "Oh its just you're now used to higher FPS" but in some games even 90fps can look choppy. I was hoping the application of motion blur would help cover this up but it doesn't seem to work very well. I've seen some people talking about frame time as well but its all a little over my head.

I refuse to believe that this is purely down to me getting used to higher fps because the difference is staggering and 60fps always looked incredibly nice but now the idea of getting 60fps is crap... because it looks crap, I'm even inclined to say that 30fps on some consoles looks better because uits so choppy. To be clear, i'm not getting stuttering its choppiness, thats the only way i can describe it

Thanks.

ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Yes I use a display port. To be fair 90fps doesn't look bad at all, in fact its really smooth but i don't always maintain FPS that high. I've just found that some games that end up going into the 60's look very choppy.