New Monitor: TN with 60Hz 1ms vs IPS 75Hz 5ms. (1080p)

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hi,

I want to buy a new monitor.

I have the Asus vx228h right now. A TN monitor with 1ms response time and 60Hz refresh rate.

I bought the AOC G2260VWQ6, but I didn't like the screen because it had a sort of yellow filter over it. The white colours where kinda yellowish. Changing the settings of the monitor didn't help. So I returned it today.

So now what I am looking for is a monitor with 75Hz.

But my question is: will I notice a big difference between my current monitor (TN, 60Hz, 1ms), and a new monitor with IPS, 75Hz and 5ms response time?

So what should I buy? A TN with 1ms and 75Hz, or a IPS with 5ms and 75Hz.

I know the IPS monitors look way better. But is the difference between 1ms and 5ms very noticeable when running at 75Hz?

If you do have some suggestions about the monitor I should consider buying, please let me know. It has to be a monitor with at least 75Hz with the size of 21.5 inch. Budget: not more than 250 euro.

Thank you!

Solution
Keep in mind that a lot of these general claims about response time and IPS vs TN aren't applicable across the board. The quality of the panel (IPS or TN) matters a lot. There are some excellent TN panels out there and some terrible IPS panels.

When it comes to response time, no you often will not notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms. But unfortunately those numbers are just marketing claims and the real response times are far more difficult to determine. A particular panel may have a 1ms grey to grey response time, but a terrible black to white, still resulting in ghosting.

Whether or not you will notice a difference between 75Hz and 60Hz is very subjective. I own and game on a 144Hz monitor at home, but at work I use 60hz...

It's called color temperature and you can change it in monitor settings.

For that price you can get 27" IPS monitor. Why do you want 21.5" ?

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

I already said I know that IPS looks way better (;

I played hours with the monitor settings, pre-settings, contrast, brightness, color temps etc. That didn't help.

The main question is : will I notice a big difference between my current monitor (TN, 60Hz, 1ms), and a new monitor with IPS, 75Hz and 5ms response time?

I will update the post about that.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

No, that didn't change anything.

Due to the dpi. A 27" is way less sharper than a 21.5" screen.

Ramlethal

Estimable
For purchasing a 60 Hz monitor VS a 75 Hz monitor is meaningless.
You should actually go for a 144 hz monitor IF you can cost it...
Otherwice you should definitly stay on a standard 60 HZ monitor and thats it...

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

NO not at all. I've just returned the 75Hz monitor only because the screen didn't look that good. I noticed a very big difference and the 75Hz monitor felt way smoother than the 60Hz monitor.

DPI doesn't impact sharpness.
It gets impacted if you use non-native resolution or analog input signal on LCD monitor (without auto-calibration).

For my eyes 22" fullHD - objects are just too small.
Minimum comfortable size for fullHD is 24" and 27" being just perfect.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

So you're telling me I 21.5" aint sharper than 24" or 27"? A lot of people say that a 21.5" is sharper than 24" and 27". Makes sense to me.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

Probably ;p . But than I need to hit 144fps all the time to get the maximum result, which means that I need to change a lot of settings, what I don't want to do. Besides, 144Hz monitors are way more expensive.

Keep in mind that a lot of these general claims about response time and IPS vs TN aren't applicable across the board. The quality of the panel (IPS or TN) matters a lot. There are some excellent TN panels out there and some terrible IPS panels.

When it comes to response time, no you often will not notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms. But unfortunately those numbers are just marketing claims and the real response times are far more difficult to determine. A particular panel may have a 1ms grey to grey response time, but a terrible black to white, still resulting in ghosting.

Whether or not you will notice a difference between 75Hz and 60Hz is very subjective. I own and game on a 144Hz monitor at home, but at work I use 60hz monitors. I don't really notice the difference for everyday tasks. And even for gaming it's not very noticeable to me. But others are different.

And finally when it comes to screen size, yes there is a difference between a 21.5", 24", and 27" pixel in 1080p. The smaller the screen the smaller the pixels. This means the image will appear slightly sharper on the smaller screen, but with the downside of everything being smaller, like text. This is also affected by how close you sit to the screen. A person sitting very close to a 21" 1080p monitor will see a very similar image to a person sitting further away from a 27" 1080p monitor.

So really in all of this I don't have a great recommendation or advice for you. Monitors are extremely subjective, and a lot of things are difficult for the buyer to determine on a particular panel that marketing will not tell you (like input lag, color accuracy, or backlight bleed). The best advice I can give you is to seek out reviews of each individual display you are considering and, when possible, try before you buy.

Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
short answer: yes

long answer, yes of course

tn looks dead, ips looks alive

the refresh rate is relative to the video card and resolution you run that monitor, the higher the better but on games you usually need 60hz, but is relative to other factors

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

Thank you. I guess I will go for an IPS monitor @75Hz with 4/5ms. A lot of people say I won't notice the difference between 5 or 1 ms response time. So now I only need to find a monitor with an IPS panel and 75Hz with the size of 21,1 - 24 inch.

KenV450

Prominent
May 21, 2017

Why did you want to change ASUS vx228h? I have AOC i2281FWH and i'm looking at Asus vx228h. When i first got AOC i noticed the yellow tint as well, i managed to almost get rid of it by adjusting settings, but it still remains a little bit yellow-ish. But the reason i want to get a TN monitor is because i think it will be better for my eyes. When I first got AOC i had a hard time getting used to it, white color was too sharp for my eyes no matter what setting i used, compared to my Lenovo Y580 screen. I did get used to it eventually, but i think it still affects me. Asus monitors i saw before at work was allright for me though they were IPS as well..

laurimat40

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Hi, If u havent bought the monitor yet take a look at this one. might buy it my self mayby also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503165268&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+widescreen

charles.kung88

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018

Old post, but I never pass up the chance to call someone out. =P

DPI ABSOLUTELY affects sharpness. There are other factors such as sub-pixel arrangements that come into play. But at a rudimentary level, DPI is what defines clarity and sharpness. a 21.5" monitor at the same native resolution is going to have smaller pixels than a 27" monitor. Smaller pixels = finer detail = sharper edges. Though a slightly exaggerated example, picture two diagonal lines drawn using 100 pixels. First line is drawn using pixels that are 1 square inch each, second being one tenth of a square inch each. The first line (larger pixels) is going to generate a much thicker and longer line (larger screen), but the edges will appear extremely jagged. The second line, albeit shorter and smaller, will appear as a finer and sharper line.

Now apply the above example into monitors. At the same pixel count, if the DPI is scaled down (larger screen), what might have appeared as fine lines may now seem slightly jagged. I recently went through the transition from a 1080p 23" to a 1080p 27", and I can tell you right now, texts are visibly more blurry. They do NOT appear as sharp as before. However, I rarely do heavy reading now that I'm no longer in school. For the games I play. the loss in sharpness is not as pronounced as reading fine texts.

That's not, what I was talking about.
DPI difference between 22" and 27" 1080p screen is not that big to affect sharpness in any significant way.
For DPI to affect sharpness, you'd have to compare same size 1080p screen and 4k screen.

I was talking about color bleeding to neighboring pixels and how that affects sharpness of the image,
when using non-native resolution or non-calibrated analog signal on LCD monitor.