Question New monitor turns off when opening a game

Sep 5, 2022
I recently bought a new 144 Hz monitor, upgraded from a 60 Hz one. The first problem I had was that when I tried to change my refresh rate to 144 Hz in the advanced display settings, the 144 Hz monitor would turn off and the 60 Hz monitor would flicker, then the refresh rate would revert back to 60 Hz. I've managed to reach 120 Hz without this problem happening.

I then tried opening LoL on the now 120 Hz monitor but when opening the game, the monitor would disconnect, turn black, and not load up the game on the screen. I then reverted the refresh rate to 60 Hz and tried opening the game but the same would happen, with my older 60 Hz monitor I would be able to play league with no problem.

I'm not sure if this is a GPU issue or a monitor issue, but my GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 580 and I've had it for around 2 years. It does from time to time turn the screen green and my PC would automatically reboot (this would happen if I've not used my PC for a few days and when I've just booted it up), and once the screen had a purple checkerboard pattern on it. I did update the drivers but there was no change. Any thoughts? Thank you :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the panels you're working with?

It does from time to time turn the screen green and my PC would automatically reboot
That seems more like a PSU issue...or a thermal problem.

Please list the specs to your current build.

Sep 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the panels you're working with?

It does from time to time turn the screen green and my PC would automatically reboot
That seems more like a PSU issue...or a thermal problem.

Please list the specs to your current build.

Hi :) my old monitor is a Samsung C24F396FHU and my new one is a Samsung LC24RG50GQUXEN.

My specs are:
AMD Ryzen 3 3100 4-Core Processor
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580

I built this PC about 2 years ago so the specs aren't the greatest and this was the first PC I'd built. I'm quite hesitant to upgrade components as I fear I'll break something in the process or my PC won't turn on again lol I remember having a lot of trouble first setting up my PC when I built it.

I do reach around 80-90 degrees Celcius playing some graphically intense games, but I don't play them often.

I imagine the problem is that my GPU is getting old, but I'm just confused as to why I can't run games on 60 Hz on the new one but I can on the older one?

Hi :) my old monitor is a Samsung C24F396FHU and my new one is a Samsung LC24RG50GQUXEN.

My specs are:
AMD Ryzen 3 3100 4-Core Processor
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580

I built this PC about 2 years ago so the specs aren't the greatest and this was the first PC I'd built. I'm quite hesitant to upgrade components as I fear I'll break something in the process or my PC won't turn on again lol I remember having a lot of trouble first setting up my PC when I built it.

I do reach around 80-90 degrees Celcius playing some graphically intense games, but I don't play them often.

I imagine the problem is that my GPU is getting old, but I'm just confused as to why I can't run games on 60 Hz on the new one but I can on the older one?
Is the monitor connected by HDMI?

Sep 5, 2022
Is the monitor connected by HDMI?

Yes both are HDMI, I presume they are 2.0, actually I did just unplug the HDMI cable for the 60 Hz monitor from my PC and moved the HDMI cable for the newer monitor into that port and I have just been able to open up league on both 60 Hz and 120 Hz, and actually, just now I checked and I can now change my refresh rate to 144 Hz! I think then it must've been that my GPU can't support two monitors? Which I'm disappointed now as that's the reason why I bought the new monitor lol.

Yes both are HDMI, I presume they are 2.0, actually I did just unplug the HDMI cable for the 60 Hz monitor from my PC and moved the HDMI cable for the newer monitor into that port and I have just been able to open up league on both 60 Hz and 120 Hz, and actually, just now I checked and I can now change my refresh rate to 144 Hz! I think then it must've been that my GPU can't support two monitors? Which I'm disappointed now as that's the reason why I bought the new monitor lol.
Can I ask what exact model of the RX 580 you have and what monitor?

It should be able to support two monitors, if it is having trouble with both together, it may be the different refresh rates that are causing the problem not the two monitors themselves.

Sep 5, 2022
Can I ask what exact model of the RX 580 you have and what monitor?

It should be able to support two monitors, if it is having trouble with both together, it may be the different refresh rates that are causing the problem not the two monitors themselves.

I'm not sure of the exact model, it just says Radeon RX 580 Series in device manager, and this: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/s...-hd-24-curved-led-monitor-black-10194244.html was the monitor I bought. But even when I set both monitors to 60 Hz I still had the same problem?