Discussion new monitor

Jun 26, 2021
I'm looking to get a new monitor, but my search efforts are being hampered by too many results.

What I want is a computer monitor (not a TV). I keep getting TV's and "digital signage" in my results. Is "digital signage" the same as a monitor?

Specifically, I want a monitor that is 49 or 50 inches (55 is too big) and is 4k.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks...

I'm looking to get a new monitor, but my search efforts are being hampered by too many results.

What I want is a computer monitor (not a TV). I keep getting TV's and "digital signage" in my results. Is "digital signage" the same as a monitor?

Specifically, I want a monitor that is 49 or 50 inches (55 is too big) and is 4k.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks...
The reason you're not finding anything is because it doesn't exist.

Jun 26, 2021
The question you should be asking yourself is whats the difference between a TV and a monitor.
For the most part, they just dont call anything a monitor over a certain size, as the typical connotation of a monitor is something you can place on a desk and sit in front of comfortably.

Jun 26, 2021
The question you should be asking yourself is whats the difference between a TV and a monitor?
For the most part, they just dont call anything a monitor over a certain size, as the typical connotation of a monitor is something you can place on a desk and sit in front of comfortably.
You answered your own question. There is a difference and I've always been told by people that know more about this than I do, that TV's can have some issues/problems when connected to a computer.

I think the big question question I have is, how do you hook them up? My computer doesn't have an HDMI connection, so...

Lg cx 48 oled user here.

I use it as a monitor and its great.

I think gigabyte or Asus is releasing the same panel in monitor form soon.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/13/22382201/gigabyte-aorus-4k-gaming-monitor-tv-oled
I am certainly interested in LG CX 48, but as in my reply above, how do you connect them? Do you have any issues (flickering, refresh rates, other)?

And, that Aorus monitor is also interesting, but when is it going to be released?

larsv8

Distinguished
I am certainly interested in LG CX 48, but as in my reply above, how do you connect them? Do you have any issues (flickering, refresh rates, other)?

And, that Aorus monitor is also interesting, but when is it going to be released?

TVS in general don't make good monitors, because they emphasize features which see a TV watcher as the user, IE remote control, disregard of refresh rate and input lag, etc. This one however is specifically designed to function as both an amazing monitor and TV. It has high refresh rate and good latency

No issues with the display, there is nothing like OLED, when it comes to pure blacks, although you need to familiarize yourself with burn in and how to prevent it.

My only gripe is with it has no "PC Mode", so I have to turn it on with the remote, the smart features tab auto pops up when starting, and a little message bar for "gamer mode" pops up whenever I alt tab out of a game. But these are minor things that occur outside of gaming, and the experience itself, while gaming, is spectacular.

The LG only has HDMI 2.1, which seems to be the new standard to be able to support 120hz at 4k.

Per Gigabyte, the Aorus seems to solve most of those issues, and commit to the full PC side of the panel, including adding displayport 1.4. If you don't have DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.1, then you can't achieve these high frame rates. No price or release date on the Aorus, but surely sometime in 2021, I would guess.

"
HDMI 2.1 is provided (2x ports) to allow for 4K @ 120Hz from modern PC graphics cards as well as from latest generation games consoles where supported. The presence of HDMI 2.1 means that features like HDMI-org VRR and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) are provided as well which is useful for modern games consoles.

Unlike all current OLED TV’s they have also added DisplayPort 1.4 (with DSC) which makes this more suitable for PC graphics card connectivity. That’s nice to see included, and the DSC (Display Stream Compression) allows you to run at 4K @ 120Hz without having to sacrifice colours.

KVM functionality is also included as is PiP and PbP support. 2x USB 3.0 and 1x USB type-C (without DP alt mode for video) are also available."

You answered your own question. There is a difference and I've always been told by people that know more about this than I do, that TV's can have some issues/problems when connected to a computer.

I think the big question question I have is, how do you hook them up? My computer doesn't have an HDMI connection, so...

If you don't have an HDMI port on the computer, what video card do you have? Modern TVs don't really have any issues when used as a monitor if you are not looking to use the thing for gaming.