[SOLVED] New monitors and eye strain - am I going mad?!

Dec 4, 2020
Hey folks

I have recently upgraded my monitors to a pair of 27” Samsung s350s (they are entry level 1080p flat screens 60hz)

generally they look great but I feel that when using them for ms word document writing that they are not that sharp and I feel like they are giving me a little eye strain to read the text. If I had to be specific I would say the black of the font is not well defined.

I have attempted to change internal settings (eg windows 10 true type) as well as some of the monitor settings.

is it me?!

they have replaced a pair of 24” Samsung monitors which were led also and 1080p. Weirdly they kinda have the same font appearance but I don’t feel that they have affected me.

am I going mad? I am, wondering if it is because the new monitors are just bigger, but I welcome input on what I have done.

I wonder whether I should have opted for a higher refresh or resolution.

thanks!

James

Solution
Hey folks

use night light. press win key on keyboard, type night light. It's a windows setting that makes content of display warmer for eyes.

I sometimes change Word document background color to some khaki color (it won't appear in print, or you can just set it back to white when giving it to someone else).

Also windows has dark themes which makes File explorer and many other apps dark.
And also, when reading pdf, I set "Replace Document colors" to a khaki background.

no, you're not mad. sitting in front of a 27" white monitor is like staring at a ski slope without sunglasses.
Dec 4, 2020
If only for completeness, I ended up returning the monitors and replacing with IPS panel Acer units which has completely solved the issue.

I did play with true type and many other things as well, but in the end, the issue appeared to be the hardware itself!

JJ

Dec 31, 2020
it can be blue light and brightness from my perspective, as long as it's not PWM or its flicker-free. I would recommend looking at eye care monitors, ones that don't include it can make me puke unless I use filter apps such as flux

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Hey folks

use night light. press win key on keyboard, type night light. It's a windows setting that makes content of display warmer for eyes.

I sometimes change Word document background color to some khaki color (it won't appear in print, or you can just set it back to white when giving it to someone else).

Also windows has dark themes which makes File explorer and many other apps dark.
And also, when reading pdf, I set "Replace Document colors" to a khaki background.

no, you're not mad. sitting in front of a 27" white monitor is like staring at a ski slope without sunglasses.

Solution
Dec 4, 2020
Good analagy!

the acers are much better out of the box but agree about the background choice.

I work with CAD a lot and I have reverted back to a black background which is way better on the eyes.

J