New motherboard after Windows 10 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

rljohnsen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
I will be getting a free upgrade to Windows 10 July 29, like many others, which is "free for the life of the system" according to Microsoft. A month or so later, I hope to upgrade my 2500K cpu plus Z68 motherboard setup to a Skylake i5, necessitating a new motherboard with an 1151 socket. Does anyone know if I can use my new free windows 10 on it, or must I buy another copy since the motherboard was changed?

Solution
It probably depends on exactly what type of license you have, OEM or Retail.
MS considers the motherboard to be "the PC", so it is unknown as to whether your particular circumstance would warrant a new OS.

I'd wait until after the new motherboard, just to be sure. And to avoid any "new OS on Day 1" issues.

USAFRet

Titan
It probably depends on exactly what type of license you have, OEM or Retail.
MS considers the motherboard to be "the PC", so it is unknown as to whether your particular circumstance would warrant a new OS.

I'd wait until after the new motherboard, just to be sure. And to avoid any "new OS on Day 1" issues.

Solution

rljohnsen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Hope so - but then what does MS base the id of the computer on? I thought the motherboard identified the system to them. I assume if I buy an all new computer but try to use the old system disk they will want a new license - how is that different from changing the motherboard?

rljohnsen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
->USAFRet: My current 8.1 system was the $35 windows pro offered when windows 8 first appeared. I think your suggestion is prudent, and probably the way to go, if even my 8.1 system will transfer in the first place!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
First of all it's based on whether the original OS is OEM or Retail. 80% at least of the OS licenses are Retail. When you buy a PC fro OEM such as Dell the Key is setup in the factory by Dell and activated. Retail keys aren't tied to the motherboard and/or processor.

It's isn't different. If you buy a PC and upgrade the motherboard after the OS has been activated legally a new OS is required but that up to the Microsoft staff that answers the phone if you call to activate.

Rules:

1. Once an OEM OS is activated it technically can't be activated again.
1. If you replace a Motherboard and/or the processor on the same computer.
2. On a different computer with a different motherboard then the one it was activated on.

Now putting the motherboard in a new case with more memory and new hard drives ISN'T considered a new PC.

Now if the motherboard and/or processor goes bad and it's replaced by the OEM or if you purchase from the OEM and you replace a new OS isn't required.

rljohnsen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Thanks - that's quite clear and useful. It would be nice if the OS were considered as a purchased product on it's own, and simply limited to installation on a single computer at a time. That would allow removal from one computer and installation on another without repurchase, but would seem to be very difficult to manage. I suspect Microsoft has problems trying to enforce this fairly.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

Where do you get your data that 80% of licenses are retail?

[strike]Microsoft doesn't sell the retail licenses anymore[/strike] (Edit: Nvm I guess they started selling it again). [strike]They are all OEM.[/strike] In the past I would think more people went for the OEM copy because it was cheaper.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I'm just guessing since most PC's are purchased with OEM and aren't upgraded at all.

I ment are OEM not retail. Most PC come with OEM and are never upgraded.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Hard drives don't matter. It's processors and/or motherboards. Retail windows you can change motherboards and/or processors but OEM activation is tied to the motherboard. You can change motherboards if one breaks but you can't upgrade or according to the license agreement you can't activate.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well the issue is that MS licenses the OS to the OEM and that licenses is supported by the OEM. Now if you buy the retail which is not ties to hardware then you can install it on multiple PC's just not at the same time. So if a PC dies you can install the OS somewhere else. They also have the OEM that are intended for system builders but are sold through places like Newegg they are tied to the machine you first install it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.