• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

New motherboard and CPU, and now my Computer won't start

Willemz

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I recently upgraded from the MSI A78M-E35 to the Gigabyte H170M-D3H-GSM and from some old AMD athalon card that was 70 dollars at the time of purchase which was give or take 3 years ago just to a Intel i3 6100. I wanted to run 2 GPUs on my new MoBo for increased productivity with 2 monitors so I got the GTX EVGA 1050 ti. I had to also get new DDR4 as all that I had was some Ballistix DDR3 for the older MoBo. However I am still rocking the Corsair CX 430. I set everything up ad installed the new CPU into the MoBo, the 2 sticks of DDR4 the 1050 ti and the Sapphire r7 260x. I turned on the power and pressed the front panel power button and the computer was booting for about 4 seconds then it would turn off and then boot again then turn off until I switched off the power input. I tried doing a breadboard or whatever it is called and I removed the board the PSU and all externals so I was just running the CPU, the CPU fan, the Power Switch two pin and the 24-pin that powers the motherboard. I got the same results as the computer didn't boot full again. I then took out the new motherboard and put in the old MSI one with the AMD Athalon still in it. I hooked it up to the PSU and now I get nothing what so ever. I turn on the power supply and i tried pressing the front panel power button but the fans didn't go and nothing ran. I am wondering whether this is a short, a new PSU is required, or if I am overlooking something. Any help would be much appreciated as I am completely stumped right now. :(

Simplified Specs:
Old:
AMD athalon X4 760k (I think)
R7 260X 2G
MSI A78M-E35
Corsair CX 430
Spec-01 Corsair
Ballistix 8G DDR3 something like that.

New:
Intel i3 6100
R7 260x 2G
and
EVGA GTX 1050 ti
Gigabyte H170M-D3H-GSM
Corsair CX 430
Spec-01 Corsair
HyperX 2x4GB DDR4 Fury

"so I was just running the CPU, the CPU fan, the Power Switch two pin and the 24-pin that powers the motherboard. I got the same results as the computer didn't boot full again"

You'd have to connect the 8 pin power cable to the motherboard too. And a RAM module.

Willemz

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Do you mean the 8 pin that can break into 2 that goes above the CPU cooler? Because I meant that as implied when I said "the CPU" and I tried with 1 stick, no sticks, 2 sticks, and moved the ram around to different slots, no luck. :(