New motherboard and CPU, and now my Computer won't start

Willemz

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I recently upgraded from the MSI A78M-E35 to the Gigabyte H170M-D3H-GSM and from some old AMD athalon card that was 70 dollars at the time of purchase which was give or take 3 years ago just to a Intel i3 6100. I wanted to run 2 GPUs on my new MoBo for increased productivity with 2 monitors so I got the GTX EVGA 1050 ti. I had to also get new DDR4 as all that I had was some Ballistix DDR3 for the older MoBo. However I am still rocking the Corsair CX 430. I set everything up ad installed the new CPU into the MoBo, the 2 sticks of DDR4 the 1050 ti and the Sapphire r7 260x. I turned on the power and pressed the front panel power button and the computer was booting for about 4 seconds then it would turn off and then boot again then turn off until I switched off the power input. I tried doing a breadboard or whatever it is called and I removed the board the PSU and all externals so I was just running the CPU, the CPU fan, the Power Switch two pin and the 24-pin that powers the motherboard. I got the same results as the computer didn't boot full again. I then took out the new motherboard and put in the old MSI one with the AMD Athalon still in it. I hooked it up to the PSU and now I get nothing what so ever. I turn on the power supply and i tried pressing the front panel power button but the fans didn't go and nothing ran. I am wondering whether this is a short, a new PSU is required, or if I am overlooking something. Any help would be much appreciated as I am completely stumped right now. :(

Simplified Specs:
Old:
AMD athalon X4 760k (I think)
R7 260X 2G
MSI A78M-E35
Corsair CX 430
Spec-01 Corsair
Ballistix 8G DDR3 something like that.

New:
Intel i3 6100
R7 260x 2G
and
EVGA GTX 1050 ti
Gigabyte H170M-D3H-GSM
Corsair CX 430
Spec-01 Corsair
HyperX 2x4GB DDR4 Fury

"so I was just running the CPU, the CPU fan, the Power Switch two pin and the 24-pin that powers the motherboard. I got the same results as the computer didn't boot full again"

You'd have to connect the 8 pin power cable to the motherboard too. And a RAM module.

Willemz

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Do you mean the 8 pin that can break into 2 that goes above the CPU cooler? Because I meant that as implied when I said "the CPU" and I tried with 1 stick, no sticks, 2 sticks, and moved the ram around to different slots, no luck. :(

TRENDING THREADS