[SOLVED] New Motherboard and CPU - Certain programs don't start?

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
I recently upgraded to a MSI Z390 A Pro and an i5 9600k, kept my GTX 1660 Ti, 1 TB HD and 250 GB SSD yet I'm encountering small bugs here and there, such as applications not able to be opened when clicking on them in the windows menu, certain games requiring a restart or two before they finally boot up properly, or even Escape From Tarkov not booting up at all, giving an error message "[INFO] Blocked loading of file: "C:\Battlestate Games\EFT (live)\opengl32.dll".". When I first started up the PC again after the upgrade, I was met with a message stating that the PC was fixing corruption in my Hard Drive - could this be the reason for all these small errors? I also haven't manually installed drivers from manufacturer websites but instead did it from control panel, I'm not sure if that could be an issue as well.

Solution
Did you do a complete clean re-install of windows, or did you use an existing installation from your previous hardware?

When changing motherboard, it is highly recommended to do a reinstall of Windows, otherwise you can run into similar issues, like the ones you describe

I would also recommend downloading the MSI drivers, especially for the chipset, but also other relevant drivers - sometimes Microsoft installs more recent LAN drivers, where the MSI can sometimes be older. In that case, the Microsoft driver would usually be the one to use
Did you do a complete clean re-install of windows, or did you use an existing installation from your previous hardware?

When changing motherboard, it is highly recommended to do a reinstall of Windows, otherwise you can run into similar issues, like the ones you describe

I would also recommend downloading the MSI drivers, especially for the chipset, but also other relevant drivers - sometimes Microsoft installs more recent LAN drivers, where the MSI can sometimes be older. In that case, the Microsoft driver would usually be the one to use

Last edited:
Solution

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016

I used the existing installation. I'll try the re-install first thing tomorrow when I can. I'll update drivers as well tomorrow. See if it resolves. Thank you

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Fingers crossed that's all it is. I can't say with 100% certainty that it is the problem, but it stands out as a very likely cause when considering the issues you are having
I updated the drivers and reinstalled some games. Couldn't figure out how to reinstall windows however, because it said that troubleshoot did not have any recommendations. I'll have to look into that more. Managed to fix the windows menu bug and the EFT bug. Thanks for your help!

USAFRet

Titan
I updated the drivers and reinstalled some games. Couldn't figure out how to reinstall windows however, because it said that troubleshoot did not have any recommendations. I'll have to look into that more. Managed to fix the windows menu bug and the EFT bug. Thanks for your help!
That "reinstall windows" is a full wipe and reinstall.
Often/usually needed with a motherboard CPU change.
This also means your applications as well.

USAFRet

Titan
Tomorrow I shall commence that full wipe. Thanks