Question New motherboard and CPU not booting, last resort question

idk525

Commendable
Jul 21, 2017
I've replaced my mobo and CPU with a MSI B450 tomahawk max and ryzen 5 3600 today. It won't display anything (the red boot LED stays lit on the mobo). All the fans come on, and everything appears to be working except the display.. And I know my monitor and every other pc component works because I've been using them before trying all this.

I've tried everything in the sticky and everything I could find online. I didn't reformat my SSD or HDD, I'm using the same ones I've been using and plugging in a usb flash drive with windows 10 on it (from windows creation tool) into the motherboard. I read that you don't have to format the drives when replacing the motherboard and CPU. Is that true, or could that be my problem? I'd rather not reformat the SSD (windows is on my ssd) and lose everything on it and then find out that wasn't the problem.

My last concern before sending the crap back would be that most of the time, when I try to turn off the pc normally (using the power button on the case, even holding it), sometimes it won't shut off and I have to flip the PSU power switch to get it to turn off. And when it does shut off normally, about 80% of the time it turns back on by itself and can't be shutoff without the PSU power switch again. This can't be normal and I was wondering if this could be a hint as to what is wrong? It didn't happen with my previous CPU and motherboard. Thank you.

Edit: I'm using the same G. Skill Ripjaws V series DDR4 2666 8GB RAM. Pcpartpicker says it's compatible.

Last edited:

idk525

Commendable
Jul 21, 2017
Is the BIOS updated to run a 3000 series CPU?
Yes, that's what it says that on the box anyway.

Edit: sorry I should be more specific. It says "AMD ryzen 3000 series ready" on the box. I believe I read some stuff online before purchasing too, and it's supposed to be ready out of the box which is why I bought this one

Last edited: