Question New Motherboard and CPU, Old GPU and Ram

Jan 30, 2020
I just purchased a new Motherboard and CPU, and have been having frequent crashes upon reassembling the computer. We've gone over the build several times and there are no issues there. I have also updated every driver possible for the current hardware I have.
Is my graphics card/ram too old, and is hence causing problems for the computer? I've checked compatibility, and although the older parts are outdated, they should work.

Crashes occur 5-10 minutes into a game, and it simply resets the computer.
I've done memtest86 and passed once with no Errors.
No temperatures in the computer go above 80 when stress-tested, (graphics card does rest at 70C during a "Heaven's Benchmark" on High Settings, setting it to ultra crashes the computer)
Upon crashes, the motherboard's EZfix light for VGA comes on.

Current Build:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: B450M PRO-VDH MAX (MS-7A38)
Ram: Spectrix D60G DDR4 Memory 8GB x 2 3200 Mhz
GPU: MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC DirectX 12 VR READY
PSU: CX750 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified

Old Build:
Processor: Intel Core i5 6400 Quad Core 2.7GHz
Motherboard: ASUS H170 PRO GAMING
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz

Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm still under the impression that it's overheating.

Edit: Did everything I was recommended to do, changed my ram to 3200mHz and reset my computer. Same problem stills occurs. What now?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Currently able to use the computer for everything but gaming. Need to re-verify windows with a phone call, don't think that's the problem. I used the same SSD as before, it is working fine for the time being.

I'll try a windows reinstall though.

johnsoner13

Respectable
I just purchased a new Motherboard and CPU, and have been having frequent crashes upon reassembling the computer. We've gone over the build several times and there are no issues there. I have also updated every driver possible for the current hardware I have.
Is my graphics card/ram too old, and is hence causing problems for the computer? I've checked compatibility, and although the older parts are outdated, they should work.

Crashes occur 5-10 minutes into a game, and it simply resets the computer.
I've done memtest86 and passed once with no Errors.
No temperatures in the computer go above 80 when stress-tested, (graphics card does rest at 70C during a "Heaven's Benchmark" on High Settings, setting it to ultra crashes the computer)
Upon crashes, the motherboard's EZfix light for VGA comes on.

Current Build:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: B450M PRO-VDH MAX (MS-7A38)

Old Build:
Processor: Intel Core i5 6400 Quad Core 2.7GHz
Motherboard: ASUS H170 PRO GAMING

Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm still under the impression that it's overheating.
I think it’s the ram. I made a very similar upgrade recently from an i5 6500 to a ryzen 5 2600 and it worked fine except for gaming. I couldn’t fix the issue until I bought a new kit of ram (my old ram was DDR4 but I bought it before ryzen even came out so I think that was the issue as ryzen is quite picky with ram or so I’ve heard)

Reactions: SamirD