[SOLVED] New motherboard and cpu shows no signal on monitor

Oct 7, 2019
I'm trying to put together a build with a new motherboard, CPU, cooler, and RAM. The GPU and drives worked perfectly in my old box. When I try to boot, lights and fans come on and stay on but nothing shows up on the monitor. Here's the build:
Intel i7-9700k
Cooler Master 212 black
Asus prime H370M Plus
Msi gaming 1060ti
EVGA 600 B
I went back to the store after checking on PC part picker for compatibility, it says that the mobo and cpu are incompatible but the guy at the store updated the BIOS and insisted that would work.
If anybody could explain the issue, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Solution
I've seen a hard reset work on a number of systems where a compatible CPU wouldn't work, because a BIOS update was required in order for it to BE compatible, but still wouldn't POST or display after updating, but a hard reset worked fine.

What store did you take it to to update the BIOS? I have very little faith or trust in any of the Geeksquad or Microcenter type technicians. Most of them are complete idiots. Complete.

If a hard reset doesn't work I'd immediately check the motherboard for bent pins on the CPU socket.

All of which is assuming this isn't simply a display issue, so try different cables, outputs and monitors, if possible. Also, try removing the graphics card and trying the CPU integrated graphics output from the...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If the PC guy did indeed update bios, there would have been a display to do so with an older gen cpu. Do you know if they tested the 9700k afterwards? If they say they did then double check your video cable is connected properly and to the correct port.

Did you take the whole assembled pc to the shop prior to them updating bios?

Have you pulled the CPU and checked for bent pins on the motherboard?

Double checked that you are connecting the monitor to the graphics card output and not the motherboard output?

Pulled the memory and reseated it?

Re-seat the graphics card?

Tried a different type of video output?

If none of that helps, then.

Try a hard reset.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

Oct 7, 2019
If the PC guy did indeed update bios, there would have been a display to do so with an older gen cpu. Do you know if they tested the 9700k afterwards? If they say they did then double check your video cable is connected properly and to the correct port.

Did you take the whole assembled pc to the shop prior to them updating bios?
He didn't test a 9700k, he said that he tested a 9th gen i5 that worked. I haven't brought the whole PC to the shop yet.

I've seen a hard reset work on a number of systems where a compatible CPU wouldn't work, because a BIOS update was required in order for it to BE compatible, but still wouldn't POST or display after updating, but a hard reset worked fine.

What store did you take it to to update the BIOS? I have very little faith or trust in any of the Geeksquad or Microcenter type technicians. Most of them are complete idiots. Complete.

If a hard reset doesn't work I'd immediately check the motherboard for bent pins on the CPU socket.

All of which is assuming this isn't simply a display issue, so try different cables, outputs and monitors, if possible. Also, try removing the graphics card and trying the CPU integrated graphics output from the motherboard as well.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What sometimes ppl fail to see is the obvious. The little things taken for granted. Most older monitors default to dvi input, and do not auto-switch to other inputs. So when hooking up hdmi cables, they get nothing. So please check to make sure your input on the monitor matches the output of the gpu. Hdmi-hdmi or dp-dp etc. Some pc's can have hdmi or dp handshake issues before the OS is installed, dvi doesn't require a handshake so is often the better choice at initial startup.
H370 (model/bios Rev.)
ROG STRIX H370-F Gaming 1303
ROG STRIX H370-I Gaming 2201
PRIME H70-Plus 1303
PRIME H370M-PLUS 1303
PRIME H370-A 1303
TUF H370-PRO Gaming 1303
TUF H370-PRO GAMING (WI-FI) 1303
So yes, the 9th gen is supported on that board (according to Asus) as of bios revision 1303. Testing with any other 9th gen would be the same as if it was your 9700k.

Pc wouldn't boot at all if the bios was bricked, so I'd be testing cables, inputs, outputs from gpu and motherboard.
Or possibly (as previously mentioned) bent pins.

Oct 7, 2019

All of which is assuming this isn't simply a display issue, so try different cables, outputs and monitors, if possible. Also, try removing the graphics card and trying the CPU integrated graphics output from the motherboard as well.
I've been going to Intrex for help during this whole process. They sold me the ram and motherboard. I managed to get the BIOS to show up on screen but now I'm having an issue with the full build where it turns on for a second and then shuts off. Currently re-doing cables.

How old is that 600B power supply? That's a pretty questionable quality of unit, even when it's new, much less if it has any miles on it.

Is the CPU cooler fan connected to the CPU_FAN header? Properly? Not off by one pin or reversed to where the keyway doesn't line up with the key on the connector?

Oct 7, 2019
How old is that 600B power supply? That's a pretty questionable quality of unit, even when it's new, much less if it has any miles on it.

Is the CPU cooler fan connected to the CPU_FAN header? Properly? Not off by one pin or reversed to where the keyway doesn't line up with the key on the connector?
It's an older unit for sure. Can't remember exactly how long I've had it. Either way, I brought the whole thing into the shop and I'm not sure what he did but everything is working now. Thanks to all who replied!