Question New motherboard and CPU - what do I need to do about Windows 11?

Oct 16, 2023
Hello everyone!

I am upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM in a few days. I was thinking to load up Win 11 on a bootable flash driver, however, as Win 11 is installed on my NVMe drive, and I will use the same 2 Drives as before, do I need to do anything?

Or simply installing the Drive on the new motherboard insure I keep the same computer I had before, but with better hardware? I tried looking for answers online but in reality I just got more confused.

Am I overthinking it and its as simple as just swapping out the motherboard, or do I have to make sure windows 11 and drives are on a usb beforehand?

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 11 using Windows Media Creation Tools. Once you've backed up all mission critical data off of your current platform, power down, disconnect all drives except for the one that you want the OS installed on, delete all partitions on the drive, then hit next, the installer will do the rest.

You will need to reinstall the drive since you're changing motherboards.

Reactions: NovemberRaiN404
Oct 16, 2023
You will need to recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 11 using Windows Media Creation Tools. Once you've backed up all mission critical data off of your current platform, power down, disconnect all drives except for the one that you want the OS installed on, delete all partitions on the drive, then hit next, the installer will do the rest.

You will need to reinstall the drive since you're changing motherboards.
Hello!

Thank you for this.

Is it a better idea to install Windows 10 and then upgrade to 11, or just directly install Win 11? Im not sure if the new mobo will be eligible for Win 11 upgrade at first.

About the rest - I probably won't backup anything as what I need was saved on a USB. So after that I power down the PC, remove the D Drive (I only have C and D) but leave the C Drive will all files on it. Delete the partitions on the C Drive, is this on the old mobo or the new one? Im not understanding at what point am I working on the new motherboard already?

thank you for your time!