[SOLVED] New motherboard and CPU wont post

theholypork

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
hi smart people, i just recently bought a ryzen 7 5800x and an ASRock Taichi b550 motherboard to replace my old 2600x b450 combo, i got it all installed, plugged it all in, the pc starts up (all the fans and whatnot come on) but it doesnt post whatsoever. the motherboard gets stuck on the code A9 a few seconds after it boots and stays there. the things i've tried so far include, re seating the gpu several times in different pcie slots (no difference), ive pulled all the ram out and have tried each slot with different dimms (nothing again), ive reseated the cpu (nothing), ive double checked all connections to the motherboard are seated correctly (also nothing), ive cleared the cmos about 100 times (nothing), i tried putting in my old cpu (ryzen 5 2600x) and it immdeiately comes up with the code 4D and doesnt post still. im annoyed and im running out of ideas, any help is appreciated, thanks.

system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
mobo: ASRock Taichi B550 AM4
Ram: Adata XPG 3000mhz ddr4 32gb (4x8gb)
Gpu: Gigabyte 2070 super
Psu: EVGA 750w 80+ gold
storage: m.2 boot drive and a couple other ssd's.

Solution
Yes, you will need to update your motherboards BIOS to run a 5000 series cpu. Im not familiar with your motherboard but if it has BIOS Flashback, you may not need a 3000 series cpu to update the BIOS but do wait for someone else to advise further before doing anything.

theholypork

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
I just had a look and couldnt find the number, but the box doesnt specify that it supports the 5000's series cpu's, only 3rd gen and future cpu's so you might be onto something, do you think updating the bios is the best bet? also, will i need a 3000's series cpu to update the bios? thanks.

Yes, you will need to update your motherboards BIOS to run a 5000 series cpu. Im not familiar with your motherboard but if it has BIOS Flashback, you may not need a 3000 series cpu to update the BIOS but do wait for someone else to advise further before doing anything.

Solution