New motherboard and GTX 1080

josiahgleeson

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
New motherboard help:

I'm relatively new to this so bear with me, I've just upgraded my motherboard to a Asus b75m-plus and I've also installed a Gibabyte gtx 1080 G1. I'm looking to make sure my bios and drivers etc are all up to date and also do a full system format, I was wondering what's most efficient method of doing this? My GPU fans are also running at 90% all the time and I'm not sure how to fix it as I have already installed the nvidia drivers.

Thanks for reading!

Solution
Fresh Windows installation is essential when motherboards are upgraded. If you don't, you can experience serious system issues. Don't worry about updating your BIOS unless you are experiencing issues after you install Windows. Also don't worry about updating your drivers before you install Windows, all drivers are wiped out when you fresh install Windows. What you want to do is:

1. Go download your graphics card driver and other drivers that are on your motherboard's support page like USB, GPU, audio, etc. It is good to have these on hand on a flash drive. On Windows 7 systems if you fresh install sometimes your internet will not work until LAN drivers are installed.

2. Figure out how you are installing Windows. If you have a DVD you...

jr9

Estimable
Fresh Windows installation is essential when motherboards are upgraded. If you don't, you can experience serious system issues. Don't worry about updating your BIOS unless you are experiencing issues after you install Windows. Also don't worry about updating your drivers before you install Windows, all drivers are wiped out when you fresh install Windows. What you want to do is:

1. Go download your graphics card driver and other drivers that are on your motherboard's support page like USB, GPU, audio, etc. It is good to have these on hand on a flash drive. On Windows 7 systems if you fresh install sometimes your internet will not work until LAN drivers are installed.

2. Figure out how you are installing Windows. If you have a DVD you are done already; put it in the DVD tray and reset the PC to boot from it. You may need to configure your BIOS to have it boot from the boot DVD first. If you are using USB to install, you need to use rufus and a downloaded Windows install image and create a bootable USB drive. You then boot to this and install Windows. Make sure you have your Windows licenses key ready. After the install and setup process you should land on your desktop. From here, install your motherboard (LAN, USB, etc) drivers and your GPU drivers.

Solution

josiahgleeson

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks for your clear instructions, I've got windows 10 installed with all the new drivers and everything's working fine other than the fan on my gpu. It sounds like a jet engine 100% of the time, apparently I need to update the vbios and I really don't know what utility I'm sopposed to use or anything as I can't find any clear manuals.

jr9

Estimable
You shouldn't need to update your video card BIOS. The video card drivers are supposed to manage your fan speeds for you. I would try MSI Afterburner and set up a custom fan profile for the card.

Updating the video card BIOS is something I will only do if I am in a "nothing to lose" situation. If something goes wrong and the card doesn't have a backup BIOS, the card is finished.