[SOLVED] New Motherboard and Windows Start Screen Freezes?

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
So I just upgraded my cpu and mobo. Motherboard is now MSI H370 gaming plus and cpu is i7-9700k. I’m running my pc on windows 10. At first I wasn’t getting any input from my mouse or keyboard after some research and reading others solutions to similar problems I found an old ps2 mouse so I could get some input so I could download usb drivers. The mouse worked in bios and it showed up in the start screen, which it didn’t before, but the second I moved it it froze with a loading circle next to it. I waited a bit and nothing happened. I have no idea what to do and haven’t found any similar issues online to clue me in. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Solution
What were the specs of the previous board/chip? It's recommended that when you change these you also do a clean re-install of Windows to avoid compatibility issues like the one you may be seeing. If you don't want to lose information on the drive you can install over it without formatting - old files will be moved into a folder called 'Windows.old' provided there is sufficient space for the new install. Files can be retained but programs would still have to be re-installed.
What were the specs of the previous board/chip? It's recommended that when you change these you also do a clean re-install of Windows to avoid compatibility issues like the one you may be seeing. If you don't want to lose information on the drive you can install over it without formatting - old files will be moved into a folder called 'Windows.old' provided there is sufficient space for the new install. Files can be retained but programs would still have to be re-installed.

Solution

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
The previous specs were Msi z97 mobo and i7-4790k cpu. I didn’t know this would mess with the os so much before I did this, I didn’t do any research beforehand. From what I read I thought the whole drive would be wiped, so it’s good to know that I don’t have to lose everything. But the thing is I don’t know where my windows install disc is...I’ll have to look around if that’s my only option to fix.

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
You can create a fresh USB installer from the Windows Media Creation tool --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download the .exe and run it, and you'll have options to either burn the latest version of Windows to a DVD or a flash drive (8GB at least)

I just want to make sure I install it the right way so I do not have to format it/lose my files. Is there anything I have to do to make sure I keep my data or just plug it in and let it go

Boot from the media and click through the steps (choose "custom install" as opposed to "upgrade"). When you get to the drive listing just click select Next (as opposed to first formatting). Windows will alert you that the old files will be moved to Windows.old and continue.

Reactions: Sid2125

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Boot from the media and click through the steps (choose "custom install" as opposed to "upgrade"). When you get to the drive listing just click select Next (as opposed to first formatting). Windows will alert you that the old files will be moved to Windows.old and continue.

Ok so I finally got it installing but I ran into an issue. I got to the where should it install and it can’t install on the drive because “the selescted disk has an MBR partition table. On WiFi systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks”. I don’t know what that means

Ah, EFI systems that would be. New boards support UEFI - a newer variant of the old BIOS. When booting in UEFI mode only the newer GPT partition style is supported. You have a couple of options - either blank out the drive and reformat OR boot into the BIOS and look for a section called boot settings or somesuch, and enable "Legacy support," sometimes called "CSM." Disable "Secure Boot first since that also is UEFI-specific. Then boot back into the installer in Legacy mode (in the boot list, if you see UEFI and non-UEFI appended copies of the install media, choose the one NOT appended UEFI.

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Ah, EFI systems that would be. New boards support UEFI - a newer variant of the old BIOS. When booting in UEFI mode only the newer GPT partition style is supported. You have a couple of options - either blank out the drive and reformat OR boot into the BIOS and look for a section called boot settings or somesuch, and enable "Legacy support," sometimes called "CSM." Disable "Secure Boot first since that also is UEFI-specific. Then boot back into the installer in Legacy mode (in the boot list, if you see UEFI and non-UEFI appended copies of the install media, choose the one NOT appended UEFI.
It already was in the legacy+UEFI mode. And I can’t find the secure boot option.

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
It's there somewhere, maybe under a different heading. Disable it then reboot and make sure it goes into Legacy mode when you boot back into the installer
So I had to turn the windows 10 whql support from csm to UEFI then the secure boot option showed up and it was disabled. Should I try it install again with UEFI or switch it back to csm? Also thank you so much for helping me out

Try to install in legacy mode - get to the boot menu and pick the non-UEFI marked version of the installer. Otherwise you'd still have to blank the drive and reformat. If you have the patience there are still ways to retrieve the files (to an external backup drive) prior to doing this but doing this kind of install avoids the extra step.

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Try to install in legacy mode - get to the boot menu and pick the non-UEFI marked version of the installer. Otherwise you'd still have to blank the drive and reformat. If you have the patience there are still ways to retrieve the files (to an external backup drive) prior to doing this but doing this kind of install avoids the extra step.

It still has always been in legacy mode, the whole csm/UEFI thing was a separate option that I changed so I could get access/see the secure boot option. I also don't see an option to pick the non-UEFI installer version. Sorry, I've never had to mess around this much in the bios, so this is a little new to me.

Sid2125

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
The UEFI or legacy boot selection should appear in the boot menu, a separate entry from the BIOS. Restart and press F11 to see the boot menu, and you may either see just an entry for the installer or possibly two. Just be sure whatever you select isn't marked 'UEFI'

I got it installed with all the files saved in windows.old. It was definitely the fact that I didn’t know what the boot menu was/how to get there. Thank you so much for your help, my pc is finally back to normal. I just have to install all my programs again. Thank you again.

TRENDING THREADS