Question New Motherboard: Aorus X299 Gaming 3 Pro issues

RAMWolff52

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Bought a computer from CyberPower PC... it's been one thing after another with this very expensive system so far. Had to send it back to be fixed BUT before sending it back I was having the very same issues with additional drives (one optical and one a SATA HD) not being seen.

They claim the computer passed all their inspections so I ASSUME that all the SATA ports passed inspection but when I connect up an internal optical drive (blu ray) it's not seen in the BIOS or Windows 10 64 Pro. So something is up!

The tray ejects just fine so the power is fine but there is something amiss with the SATA connectivity. I've tried 3 cables and not all of them can be bad so I assume that something is not enabled in the BIOS. As a test I had an older SATA drive that's been blanked so connected that up to test, sure enough, it's not being seen. The motherboard has 8 SATA ports.. for some reason there are only 7 available, even in the motherboard manual there are only 7 mentioned as usable, which seems odd to me. But I've tried various SATA ports and none are working.

The Motherboard is an Aorus X299 Gaming 3 Pro board. I've looked through the manual, I've even asked CyberPower PC for help but as usual unless I bought it from them they won't help me, not even offering to help me with the BIOS setup to try to troubleshoot this. Horrible!! :mad: To be clear, the additional SATA drive and the optical drive (blu-ray player/writer) I bought elsewhere!

Before I had sent the computer back to them the last time to be fixed correctly there was this same issue with the optical drive as well as an additional SATA HD not being seen SO it seems they didn't fix or enable the settings correctly!

I've never bought a computer with a gaming motherboard before so the BIOS are set up a bit differently from previous mb's I've gotten in the past! I've written to Gigabyte about this but wanted to reach out to you guys as well in case there is an easy fix for this. I hate the idea of having to use external drives of any kind and really want these two drives internal and operational. I'm a graphics artist and this has waylaid me long enough!

Can anyone lend a hand in trying to trouble shoot this one last issue?

Thanks for the help!
Richard

What are your full system specs?
You can try plugging in your blu-ray drive into each Sata port to see if any are not working.

If you have a M.2 drive you need to check page 36 in your manual to see if it disables any of the Sata ports.
M2P right below the CPU if you have a SATA M.2 card installed then sata port 0 will not work. If its a PCIe card then all your sata ports should work.
M2M in between the PCI-e slots only takes PCIe M.2 cards and all sata ports will function
M2Q in the lower right corner of your board if there is a card installed ports 4, 5, 6, & 7 will not work.

RAMWolff52

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I have no idea what an M.2 drive is.

All I have in the way of drives that I bought from CyberPower PC are a 1 Terrabyte SSD and a 3 Terrabyte SATA drive. They are seen and set up fine but any additional drives I'm trying to add are not seen.

According to the manual, page 37, the SATA ports are all enabled by default! In the BIOS they are all saying they enabled as well. There are some options but none look like they would be of any help to my situation.... So wondering if there is a legacy option that I don't know about that may help get this sorted out.

I don't have the entire system specs on hand.... All the RAM is fine as reported by the system. As mentioned there are two main drives, on SSD and one SATA... the add ons are a blu ray player/writer and an additional drive with all my backups for my graphics I need to have working

Since both your sata harddrives work try moving the 3TB drive to another sata port and see if it works, if it does then check all other ports. You can also unplug the 3TB drive and replace it with the Blu-ray player since you know the power and Sata cable work with the drive.

That will start to narrow down ether bad ports, bad cables, or bad blu-ray drive.

RAMWolff52

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I've got a guy coming later today to access this mess. I'm going to wait for him to do his thing and then if that's not working I'll try that as I was thinking that as well!