[SOLVED] New motherboard (ASUS B550F Gaming) won't boot/POST (no Q-LED, standby light on)

Dec 11, 2021
Hello,
I'm not sure this is the right subforum to post this in, but feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong place.

I've been at this for a couple days now and I am at my wits' end. My new self built computer will not boot or POST. The standby light on the motherboard turns on when I turn on the PSU (pic related: View: https://imgur.com/a/L4cLGx4
) but nothing happens when I press the start button, no fans nor any Q-LEDs activate.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS B550F Gaming
CPU: Ryzen R5600X
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
PSU: Corsair RW850
RAM: 2 sticks DDR4, 16GB each
Disk: SSD, 500GB, connected directly to motherboard

Things I've tried:
  • Checked that all cables and wires are correctly connected multiple times.
  • Check power connections to motherboard (24 pin and 8 pin). When the 8 pin isn't connected a red LED glows next to it when I turn on the PSU.
  • Cleared CMOS by shorting the CLR pins on the mobo.
  • Checked that the PSU works with a paperclip.
  • Booting by shorting the power pins.
  • Updating BIOS using USB flashback (with and without CPU attached)
  • Booting with the mobo unscrewed outside the case.
  • Pressing reset button and then boot.
  • Booting with only SSD, CPU and one RAM stick in the A2 slot.
  • Booting without anything connected.
  • Checked CPU for dust or bent pins, there are none.
  • Exchanged the motherboard for another one of the same type, the issue still persists.
I know the graphics card is functional as I moved it over from my old computer. I don't have a 4-pin speaker so I can't know if it beeps, but as none of the Q-LEDs on the mobo that are supposed to show what part malfunctions light up when I try booting I'm not even sure that the mobo even gets to POST? I've also tried connecting a screen to the GPU but it doesn't show any sign of life either. If the CPU or RAM were faulty wouldn't the Q-LEDs at least light up with a debug color?

Help me here, is there anything I've missed?

Solution

That takes you through everything, step by step. The tips on checking connectors for pushed pins is especially helpful.

After that: the paper clip test is nothing close to a full test of the PSU. It tests neither that it can carry a load nor that all outputs are present. The only way average people can be sure their PSU's OK is to connect it up in another system.

That takes you through everything, step by step. The tips on checking connectors for pushed pins is especially helpful.

After that: the paper clip test is nothing close to a full test of the PSU. It tests neither that it can carry a load nor that all outputs are present. The only way average people can be sure their PSU's OK is to connect it up in another system.

Solution