New Motherboard But Win 10 Won't Boot

Lorhan

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
NOTE: first time ever switched out a motherboard. So consider me a half step up from idiot.

So I recently changed the motherboard on my computer and with it the CPU. I had windows 10 (free upgrade, not preinstalled) before the change AND I had it connected to my windows account.
Plugged everything in right, went through bios setup, motherboard​ and hdd at least recognize the other exists. But past bios I just seem to get a dos screen.

So, what am I doing wrong, oh knowledgeable hardware forum?

Solution

you may need to setup the boot order. also it would be good to know how windows 10 was formatted on that drive. if it was not installed using the UEFI BIOS option you may need to set it to boot to legacy devices or something along those lines. check your motherboard manual for the proper settings

replacing a motherboard is like getting a whole new computer so you need to reinatall windows 10. it should at least attempt to boot to windows so it sounds like its not booting ton the right HDD or you need to play with the BIOS settings. best thing to do is only have your windows drive connected and no other disk drives and try to boot

Lorhan

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

There is only the one hdd connected. So what bios settings might get them to talk to work?

you may need to setup the boot order. also it would be good to know how windows 10 was formatted on that drive. if it was not installed using the UEFI BIOS option you may need to set it to boot to legacy devices or something along those lines. check your motherboard manual for the proper settings

Solution
New motherboard and CPU+Old Windows 10 installation is problematic.
Always reinstall Windows from scratch when replacing motherboard, HDD, and SSD.

For your Windows activation, don't worry, it's tied to your MS Account. Just login and wait until it activates automatically.

Or you can try to enable CSM and changing IDE/RAID to AHCI on your UEFI BIOS.